1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank negatives???

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by georgiewood, Aug 19, 2006.

1. georgiewood

georgiewood New Member

I recently bought an old cannon AE1P, i have shot 3 rolls of film on it. The first one i got processed and the results were fine. The second and the third have come back completely blank. There is no picture on the negatives atall they are just completely see through. Am i doing something wrong? or could this be a fault with the camera... i have no idea why it is happening... please help!

2. BennyBoy

BennyBoy Well-Known Member

If there are frame numbers then the film is unexposed, if there are none then they could have been misprocessed (fixed before dev'd)

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Yeah, if you cannot see the frame numbers then the film has not been correctly developed.

If you can see the frame numbers then development was OK but for some reason the film was not exposed. It could be that there is a problem in the camera - either the film isn't winding on so was never exposed, OR you have a shutter problem ie it didnt fire so again the film was not exposed.

The other alternative is that somehow you have got mixed up with your films and the blank two have never passed through the camers! It does happen! :(

Do have a check that it is completely blank - there is absolutely no vague hint of any image? Because the only other option is that it was so severely underexposed that it appears blank eg wrong ISO used, extreme low light/small aperture/fast shutter speed.

4. jkphoto

jkphoto Well-Known Member

I hope this is not contageous. I exposed two rolls of HP5 last weekend and set about developing them on my return. The developer was a new batch of ID11 made the day before. It was used diluted 1to1. The resulting film was totally blank not even the edge numbers were visible.

The film had gone through the camera properly (Bronica SQA)and there was no hint of snagging, or jamming.

The 2nd film (with the same batch number) was developed in the same mix of ID11 diluted 1to1, and was rewarded with 12 properly exposed negatives.

I can only think the 1st one was a faulty film, but it is not worth chasing Ilford about it as I cannot prove I developed it correctly although I know I did. The developer came from the same bottle so this has got me stumped

5. BennyBoy

BennyBoy Well-Known Member

I nuked a roll last week, but I used oxidised dev - oopsie.

6. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Last Saturday, I developed 3 rolls of 35mm film. I'd looked at my stock of ID-11, and decided it was too dark to risk using, so I dumped it, and opened a fresh bottle of universal developer I keep in for "emergencies". All 3 films came out very thin, even after being timed and agitated as in my previous notes for that developer. Result 3 lots of very thin negatives.
    I assessed which roll I could sacrifice, and dumped it in some chromium intensifier, and tried to redevelop it - result - one absolutely clear roll of film - not even a hint of an image or frame edges etc.
    One of the other rolls (HIE) I can just about make a few reasonable shots as I had bracketed some of the exposures, and the other might have to go through PS7 :mad: :eek:
    I wish I had risked the ID-11 :( ;)

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

The frame numbers are exposed onto the film rebates in the factory when the big rolls are split so they should have been there. If they were NOT it means no developer got to the film in the tank; did you contaminate the developer with fixer some how, perhaps not washing out a container you used to measure out the chemicals? I notice on some batches of Ilford film the frame numbers are a bit faint even when the film is developed OK. You can't go by the density of frame numbers any more to see if films are correctly developed. Peter.

8. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

If the frame numbers are there and the rest of the film is clear then the film may have been incorrectly loaded in the camera.

To be sure, once you have the film loaded and the back closed, watch the rewind knowb when you wind on. If this goes round then the film is loaded ok, if not, open the back and reload the film.