1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackbird

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by The Barbarian, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is it true that it was supposed to be the RS-71 but was hastily renamed when a VIP (president?) announced it wrong?

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I was fascinated by the Blackbird when I was a child and had a huge coffee table book about it. I'd love to know where that book went.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Have you tried under the radar? ;)

beatnik69 likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It seems not: Air Force Chief of Staff General Curtis LeMay preferred the SR (Strategic Reconnaissance) designation and wanted the RS-71 to be named SR-71. Before the July speech, LeMay lobbied to modify Johnson's speech to read "SR-71" instead of "RS-71". The media transcript given to the press at the time still had the earlier RS-71 designation in places, creating the story that the president had misread the aircraft's designation

But SR71 was a development of A12, of which there were also bomber and interceptor versions, plus the A12 M21 drone carrier actually shown above.

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks, thought it had a whiff of urban legend about it.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've seen this a couple of times from an SR-71 pilot. It's a great story, worth listening to.

RovingMike likes this.
  7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Flew in an Anson rom RAF Gaydon to RAF Honington, best flight I ever had; Hermes civvy version first flight Ded 1945, Hastings RAF first flight May 1946
    flew in Hastings to and from middle east, last one withdrawn 1977. We had retired Lancaster hulks for radar training at RAF Yatesbury in 1952.

RovingMike likes this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

We were evacd from the Canal Zone in a Hastings in 1952. Then flew to Singapore in a Hermes in '54 and back in '57, 4 days each way. I thought the Hermes was the bee's knees until a Connie cruised past us somewhere around Baghdad. Simply beautiful.