1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Blackbird

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by The Barbarian, Jan 12, 2020.

1. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

[​IMG]

miked, Geren, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wasn’t expecting that. Well done as in done well.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Not what I expected from the title!

*Appraisal removed because this isn't the appraisal gallery*

I assume that this was used as a research aircraft, hence the strange appendage at the rear?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Exhibition Lounge <cough>

5. gray1720

Ballcocks! Well spotted, Tony, ta for putting me straight.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Whatever is it? My initial thought was something very fast yet rivets all over the place and a wrinkly skin. I think that the 'appendage' on the tail is a third engine, just stuck up there as an afterthought to give a bit more 'umpth'. From a photographic point of view its a pity that the museum hasn't given it some space.
    Edit. It looks like an SR-71 with an extra engine bolted on a tail fin.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Did it sing?..

8. Learning

I thought that Adrian was not criticising the photography but the exhibitors.

9. Learning

More a high pitch scream plus supersonic bang.

Snorri likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Catriona and Learning like this.
  11. The Barbarian

Yes. But at the speeds the SR-71 cruises, there was just too much danger in launching the drone. There was one aircraft lost along with a crew member, and the idea was shelved.

12. The Barbarian

I don't mind. He had it precisely right. It was a bear of a job to get it as good as that. I've had the opportunity to get within a few feet of an SR-71, and the skin is indeed odd-looking. Itlooks worse here because of the extreme backlighting. This is at the Boeing museum near Seattle, and it's well worth a visit. This is only a small part of the collection.

13. RovingMike

I wondered about that. Would need to slow down to an unfeasibly low speed to launch, or it would throw the machine all over the place.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought it was a chick learning to fly;)

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The SR-71's "wrinkly skin" is to allow it to expand as it heats up past Mach 2. The pilot's windscreen would reach 316° C in operation so the whole aircraft was rather longer at Mach 3 than when it was on the ground: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.

16. RovingMike

Which is similar to the fuel tanks, which were very leaky on the ground, but sealed up at speed. The things always had a pool of fuel under them.

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There's very little chance that I'll be in Seattle any time soon but just in case, I'll remember to go and visit. I absolutely love an air/space/transport museum. Thanks to all those who added on bits of extra info here - fascinating.

18. gray1720

I have to say that the Blackbird is one of the things I'd love to have seen fly - they were visitors to Wethersfield as the station commander was ex-SR71, but I was never around when they dropped by.

I remember a story in 2000AD comic where the Grim Reaper flew one when he was "harvesting" airmen in time of war - it seemed apt.

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All the titanium used to build the SR-71s was imported from Russia. I'm guessing the Soviets were told it was for something else.

EightBitTony and RovingMike like this.
  20. RovingMike

Me too. Loved flying when I was young, although perforated eardrums wrecked my hearing.

I think oldest I've flown in is possibly a WW2 Anson, or maybe a Grumman Goose. HP Hastings and Hermes would have been 1940s too. I was down for a ride in the Lancaster once, but had something come up and couldn't go. Never got another chance.