1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Jun 18, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

In 1965 Martin Luther King took to one knee at a civil rights march to pray.

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's level 2 on the forum DEFCON board...
    1. I can't believe you said...
    2. With all respect...
    3. I think you'll find that...
    4. My experience is...
    :p

neilt3 and steveandthedogs like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yeah but no-one listened to him; he was one of the most hated men in America during his lifetime.

Several times recently I've been reminded of his letter from jail in which he bemoans the white moderate as a greater barrier to progress than the KKK. We should do well do consider the power and meaning of those words.

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

As the saying goes: even Homer nods. In this case, King was clearly off beam. It was the white moderates who made the civil rights movement effective. In some cases, such as Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, they even died for it.

5. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Considering Raab was a cabinet minister at the time of Colin Kaepernick's respectful protest in 2016 and is currently Britain’s most senior diplomat, I find it impossible to believe he didn’t know what he was talking about.

I would therefore conclude that he must have been aware of the consequences of what he was saying.

Since George Floyd, the 'knee' has become even more symbolic than previously. For Raab to subsequently belittle and trivialise the subject in such a way seems extremely crass coming from such a senior politician and well worthy of vilification in my view.

Add to this Matt Hancock calling Marcus Rashford 'Daniel' the other day and we appear to have a government totally out of touch with people as well as incompetent.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Perhaps he is a Death eater and went to Slytherin. and has it in for all halfbloods and Muggles.

7. Andrew Flannigan

I'm pretty sure he thinks the rest of us are mugs! :mad:

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So I just checked the online movie and television database and apparently MLK had a guest part in the (black and white) pilot of Game of Thrones in 1965. I stand corrected and offer most profuse apologies to Mr Raab for any hurt caused by my insensitive comments. Kudos to @MJB for bringing this to my attention. You may not recognise the cast as many of them were assassinated shortly after filming started; viewer panels requested whiter characters they could relate to.

[​IMG]

Geren, EightBitTony and beatnik69 like this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I find it very possible to believe, after all, it's Dominic Raab were talking about. The man who didn't know how much of the UK's trade goes through Dover.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had a good long chat with my mate on the phone yesterday and we were talking about this subject. He is black and he hasn't been on a march but what it has made him do, never mind us, the white folk, has researched the black history of the UK and as he put it, educated himself. His father was of the Windrush generation. He was telling me about the blacks in London in the Elizabethan times and the decrees by the Queen to get rid of them, that in the 1700's 2.8% of London's population was black, about the race riots in the early 1900's etc. He is ex military and has an interest in that. The things he was telling me about the blacks in WW1 and 2 was truly astonishing in the way they were treated. I admit I am not big on history, never have been, but this was all new to me. A lot of it was new to him too and it is only because of this BLM he has began to educate himself. This really does need addressing in schools. We talked about role models in film and TV and how he felt growing up as a black kid, where most black actors were baddies/drug dealers/gangsters. How people think and talk about "black actors" as opposed to just actors.
    It is no surprise really that things come to a head when it is rooted in your history. I have always enjoyed talking to him about this sort of thing and having a proper conversation with him as opposed just watching some talking head on the TV. I'm at an advantage in that. I dare say a lot of folk don't have someone like that they can chat to, or in fact may even be afraid to have these conversations, which I understand may make some of us feel uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  11. Andrew Flannigan

None of us can know everything but it's good that we learn as much as we can. If we concentrate on correcting one injustice though, we can lose sight of many others.

For example: the most decorated unit of the US Army in world war 2 was the 442nd Infantry Regiment, composed almost entirely of ethnic Japanese volunteers, whose parents and siblings were confined behind barbed wire for much of that war.

Many people have heard of the Navajo code talkers but how many are aware that Comanche, Hopi, Meskwaki, Lakota, Mohawk, Tlingit, Cree and Crow soldiers also provided secure battlefield communications at great personal risk? Yet members of those tribes are among the most disadvantaged of American groups.

The British Indian Army became the largest all volunteer force in history during World War II. 2.5 million Indians came forward to fight for the British Empire and elements of the BIA fought in almost every theatre during the conflict. 87,000 were killed in the conflict and 30 Victoria Crosses earned.

Yet they were treated so badly by the Anglo American commanders that both the Germans and the Japanese were able to recruit very large numbers of Indian prisoners of war into their forces. The Japanese fielded the 30,000 man Indian National Army (recruited entirely from disillusioned BIA POWs) against the British in Burma while the Germans created the three batallions of the Indian Legion (again from BIA PoWs) that were deployed on battlefields from France to Persia.

The thing to remember is that all lives matter and all marginalisation will come back to bite our society. That is why we must be careful that, while righting one wrong, we do not create another wrong.

John Farrell likes this.
  12. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Of course he was aware and being deliberately non PC because this plays well with the type of people that vote tory.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That Tories think PC is ridiculous is not a secret.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They have never been fond of Welsh Independence have they?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Tories are not the only people to hold that view ;)

Learning likes this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

17. Learning

What's that to do with it? (feeding the lefty).

18. Learning

Of course. Anyone sane has that view.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Plaid Cymru... :rolleyes:

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting article in Times today. Presenting the kind of balanced context that is entirely not PC in present circumstances. Seems US police overall kill more whites than blacks. Black people kill more black people than white (by a very long way) and due to police withdrawal from active policing during the present sensitivity, black on black killings in urban areas have gone off the clock.....well who'd have dared think it....you'd have to be racist to publish info like that wouldn't you?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.