1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I would ask: what gives one person the right to think that another person doesn't matter?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That is their failing. It isn't a right. It is their self-justification for asserting their own importance. That they, themselves, 'matter'.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So I had to unhide Andrew to see what was going on (I say this purely to be transparent).

All lives matter - but that truth is so obvious it doesn't bear saying.

You don't run through a cancer recovery ward shouting 'there are other diseases too you know'.
    You don't tell people with broken legs that 'all bones matter'.
    Black people in the UK and in the US are dying as a result of systemic racism built in to the system, whether through intent or simple ignorance. As a result, their lives are disproportionately at risk from sources that don't affect the rest of us.

So if you say 'yes but all lives matter', you're missing the point. You are on the wrong side of the debate.

Black Lives Matter does not mean black lives matter more than yours, it's means that, Black Lives Matter.

Why is 'abolishing racism' even a debate?

'All lives matter' diminishes the plight of black people in the UK and US right now.

It's why people are angry, it's why people are protesting, it's why people are pulling down the legacy of colonialism and slavery, it's why we should each personally reflect.

#blacklivesmatter

4. Andrew Flannigan

I wish you hadn't.
    No. As is the case with so many who jump on bandwagons, you are.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

À propos nothing, but isn't white fragility remarkable.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Racism is wrong, especially when practiced by those with pretentions to egalitarianism.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

All lives should matter. But to many, black lives don't.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Not many. A very small minority, to whom the supporters of this nonsense are giving aid and comfort.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Racism isn't 'being unkind to other races.' It's an overwhelming confluence of biases and practices which unfairly discriminate. Ergo a black person in UK/USA etc. cannot be racist to whites. They can make racially motivated statements/actions but this is categorically not the same as 'being racist.'

PentaxManiac and EightBitTony like this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not many? Try everyone using "all lives matter" unironically.

11. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

Thanks for putting these up, Tony. I enjoyed the more extended set on flickr too.
    Images like these, that portray politically militant black people as non-threatening, non-violent and non-destructive are important because they undermine the dominant narratives put out by the police, the news media and conservative political organizations.

PentaxManiac, EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that minority is as small as you think. If it were, the statistics on how many white people are tasered by police compared to how many black people are, would be more similar. The numbers of black children excluded from schools would be more in line with the number of white children. Poverty, poor housing, chances of ending up in a gang, chances of being shot, chances of not getting an education, chances of being unemployed, chances of not getting a promotion...would all be in line with the chances available to white people. And they are not.

13. EightBitTony

The whole day was overwhelming peaceful, but with an obvious passion and anger. I specifically posted the first full set on Instagram of only black faces, even though I took probably equal numbers of photographs of black and white protestors. I don't know if that was the right approach of me, but it felt like it was important enough that I thought about it. I didn't want just another selection of pretty white protestors, male and female, mostly young students.

The eyes of many of the black protestors tell the entire story. The depth of pain in the eyes of this man, tell the whole story.

[​IMG]Black Lives Matter by Tony Evans, on Flickr

14. EightBitTony

I think my views on this on clear.

Black people can't solve a problem they didn't create. They can only remind me that I helped create it and sustain it and I need to help resolve it. I don't know right now how to do that, but I will try and do my part.

Here's one upsetting the racists among you, the people who don't like politics, and those who don't like rude words.

[​IMG]Black Lives Matter by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Also, people who don't like blocking shadows ;)

15. Andrew Flannigan

They did create the problem, if you're talking about slavery in America.

All the evidence shows that slavery was a major part of African economies from well before the Christian era. The ancestors of most African Americans and African Britons were captured by other Africans and sold as slaves because that's what people did.

The Moslems took full advantage of an existing African institution and extended it to as much of southern Europe as they could reach. Europeans, like the Moslems, simply continued a well established trade until changes in public sentiment outlawed it.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, rich Black plantation owners in America, being curiously unable to staff their plantations with white people, arranged to have black folk from back home shipped over using logistic services provided by other black people. It's *clearly* all their fault.

As an aside, your comment as quoted is possibly the most repugnant thing I've ever seen on this forum.

PentaxManiac likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

You seem to be taking lessons from Messrs Cummings, Johnson and Trump on ignoring inconvenient statements when confronted by justified criticism.
    Well, if we're going to be nasty, I see you as very much the unacceptable voice of the idiot left.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Seeing the way this thread has progressed I think that you have been proved correct.
    A thread in the Lounge would have been more appropriate.

19. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

On the contrary, this is the Exhibition Lounge. If I were to visit an exhibition like this in a gallery, I would expect discussion of the emotions and feelings aroused by the photographs. Technical discussion is for the Appraisal gallery.

Zou, steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  20. EightBitTony

Plus, avoiding politics is a white privilege. You can't avoid politics when it kills you if you don't pay attention.

Trannifan and Zou like this.