1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jun 7, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Whilst I 100% believe in the cause without doubt, is this a proper place for politics etc.

You may disagree with me but remember we all have the right to an opinion.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Tony is posting photographs, and this is the right place. I posted ones of the Anti Brexit marches I have been on. Is this any different?

My daughter was at that in Forest Fields today.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  4. Stephen Rundle

I was not here when you posted, had I been I would have asked the same way, it was just that, a comment/question and NOT a criticism

Photographs can be just as insightful as other forms of media. I just see things from all angles and others opinion. And for info I am a press card holder with the NUJ and a photo Journalist.

Unlike most I am not afraid to comment when it comes to being politically incorrect. I believe forums should be non religion/race/politics etc. Remember whilst I and many will 100% support the movement some are offended by the hospitalized police, injured horses in London and burning buildings destroying peoples lives in other ways (I have not said in the UK).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. dream_police

But it isn't politicising it? I do not agree with the violence, the damage, the assaults etc. Doesn't mean looking at the photo's of the marches/processions/riots or whatever means we side with the matter - not that there is any evidence of that in these photos.

These things should be photographed. I have taken photo's at an event that I was politically against. It shouldn't stop me or anyone taking photo's and showing them here.

6. Stephen Rundle

And if I were there I would as a "working Journalist", and I am not disagreeing with you............... am I ?

I asked a question I did not make a statement against it being posted I just asked if it should be !

7. dream_police

I think you are disagreeing that this is a place to show the photo's. We are not discussing the rights and wrongs of the protests. I too do not really like to get into politics too much, but am happy to look at the photo's. I am not, nor have been a journalist but I did consider going intoManchester this weekend to take photo's. My laziness stopped me.

8. Stephen Rundle

My common sense stops me as I have more respect for the NHS and nurses than to illegally go against the Government regs when it comes to CV19

9. dream_police

My daughter tells me that the crowd were actually quite good re distancing and were respectful (she tells me she stayed on the outside where it was obviously better). Perhaps @EightBitTony can add to that.

Done_rundleCams and PentaxManiac like this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that documenting an event is equivalent to 'politics etc'. If I found myself in a street swarming with nuns I'd take a photograph. It wouldn't be 'religion' it would be documenting what was going on. Same with these images. It's not politics. It's photography. This is a photography forum. Seems legit to me.

11. EightBitTony

Yes.

Except your first port of call was to deny me the right to post mine here by asking if it was the 'right' place?

Being there was possibly the most important thing I've ever done with my camera.

12. EightBitTony

Mixed bag. The organisers had made an effort, including marking out 2m squares all over the place, and they started out asking people to keep to it. Many people did, the further out from the centre you got, the further apart people were. More than 60% of the people wore masks (including me), but the reality is that this is something that people are rightly passionate about, and so there was a core of the crowd at the centre and at the railings behind the stage who had given up any pretence of distancing.

For the most part, I was no closer to people for no longer than I would have been in Tesco, in fact, I've had people in Tesco show me less distancing respect than the people in that crowd.

No easy answers, no simple solution, certainly no way to mark such an important moment without at least pushing against the boundaries.

Better in an open area, demonstrating something critically important, in a peaceful but emotional way, than heading to the beach at the weekend because it was hot and you were bored as a comparison.

Done_rundleCams and PentaxManiac like this.
  13. EightBitTony

Silence supports the oppressor, never the oppressed.

Life is politics, live is religion, life is racism, and pretending some place can be free of its influence is a denial of a basic truth. I post photographs here, and I tend to take photographs at demonstrations, rallies, marches, parades, carnivals, and other large gatherings. I'm getting better at it, I'm getting better at finding and telling the story, and I'll continue sharing them here, thank you very much.

PentaxManiac, Zou and Craig20264 like this.
  14. EightBitTony

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't like their slogan. All lives matter is my take on it.

16. EightBitTony

Oh, and I forgot the 6D was set to fixed ISO 1000 (until I was almost done), luckily it's a very forgiving camera. Thanks #pinholecameraday

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

But to a racist, they don't. That's the point. Do keep up.

Done_rundleCams, PentaxManiac and Zou like this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I am. Try and do the same.

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it is a great pity if issues like this get classed as simply politics. Discrimination issues may be multi-faceted, but one thing they are not is politics.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

This has all made me wonder what makes any one of us 'matter'? I consider I matter very little in today's society. How about you? My mind also swings over to the slavery debate. Well, we are most of us 'slaves' in one way or another, living in society. We will never square that circle.
    Is it level of achievement that makes someone matter? Their financial power? I, sadly, don''t think it is how you behave. Not rocking the boat, not getting into debt (disappointment to the banks,m that one); playing the Government's game? I reckon I simply don't matter either, so long as I do what I am told to do. If I were to die tomorrow, it wouldn't make a heap of difference to anyone (apart from my half-sister being better off).