1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bioluminescent

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Nickb74, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Nickb74

Nickb74 Member

HI,

I will be going on holiday soon and I want to get some good photos of the nesting Puffins, and at the moment at dawn and dusk one of the beaches is displaying Bioluminescent and I would love to get some shots of that as well so i am asking for any advice to get the best out of my EOS 1300D

Thanks.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I am extremely not an expert at this but I suspect that the bioluminescence is relatively dim, by your sensor's standards at least, so you will probably be needing a tripod for long exposures, plus needing to wait for the sky to darken enough to get a good image of it, while still giving you a bit of context to the surroundings. Or being up *very* early! I would scout for likely locations in the daytime to reduce the time you are spending tripping over stuff in the dark, or driving round in circles looking for a good view.

Catriona likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea. Experiment! If you can find something solid to rest the camera on then you can manage without a tripod if it does need a long exposure but you do lose flexibility.
    Don't get so fixated on the photography that you forget to enjoy the experience :)

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I looked this up, and suspect the brightness will depend on how many creatures there are in the shot that have this ability and are doing it at the time. You will probably have to be there early (long before full daylight), so a tripod would be recommended (probably with manual exposure and focus too). Canon's website says that the 1300D's longest shutter speed is 30 seconds, so a cable release will be need for longer times.

Alternatively, without a tripod see if you can place the camera and lens on a suitable rock try to get it level, and use the self-timer or cable release to fire the shutter . The problem will be that long exposures will give the 'smooth sea' look, which may not be what you want.

If you try handheld shots to avoid the 'smooth sea' look, experiment first to find out the slowest shutter speed you can use handheld and still get sharp shots. Canon's website makes no mention of any image stabilisation in the camera body, so you will only have this if it's in the lenses. Without this, try 1/30 if using a lens focal length of 20-30 mm, and 1/60 or less for longer lens settings. If you try this at home before you go on holiday, you can find out how well you can hold the camera still for shutter speeds like this. You will need to raise the ISO to allow a shutter speed at which you can take the shot without camera movement blurring the image, but a high ISO setting may produce more 'noise' on the image than a shot with a tripod at a lower ISO setting.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I'd agree with all of this apart from the up early. I much prefer up late, you can set up the tripod with some light then stay as long as required to try, packing in once you're happy with the results (or don't feel you can do better) rather than wishing you'd been there an hour earlier...
    In the evening the situation should improve steadily from sundown for the next 4 hours - unless (probably the case this time of year) that goes past half way to sunrise. (It's classed as astrological twilight if the sun is less than 4 hours below the horizon). The time between scouting light & best shooting will be several hours, but there should be some good low light shots in this time (bring plenty of batteries) and I find sitting & waiting eaiser than getting up as the rest of the family are going to bed (probably before that at the moment). In reality it will probably become an all-nighter!

I don't think you can buy a camera fast enough to record the bioluminescence I've seen at 1/60th. Good locations will be better but still to reach handholdable speeds you'll need both fast apertures & a willingness to put up with noise

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  6. Chester AP

Are there any results yet that you can share?

7. Nickb74

Nickb74 Member

HI,
    Unfortunatly we missed the Bioluminescents, the night we went it was a no show:( ans the are where we wanted to see puffins was off limits so i could not get them either. I did take a lot of pics of the landscapes and old quarrys. not sure if they are uch good though.

8. Chester AP

There are places I have had to return to more than once to get the shots I wanted - it's very frustrating when the subjects won't pose to order. Perhaps you'll have better luck next year.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's a bugger. If you like we can constructively take the other pics apart?

10. Nickb74

Nickb74 Member

Happy to share some of them, I just need to work out how to do so :)

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you want constructive comments, post in Appraisal, and if you want to share, post in Exhibition. The two main ways are to make a copy resized to 800 px longest side and use the “upload a file” dialogue then (after a long wait) choose the full image option. Otherwise post to Flickr (or equivalent), choose share, select the bulletin board code (BCC) option and copy paste the whole link. The image will then appear in-line. Flickr will also offer several resize options, one of which will have 800 px, so select this if you can’t resize the image yourself or if you are sharing from full size files uploaded to your account. I let Flickr resize for old stuff. These days I only post 800 px images on Flickr.

EightBitTony and Nickb74 like this.
  12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Nickb74 likes this.