1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binoculars and cataracts

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I was having a bit of a clear-out yesterday and came across binoculars which I'd totally forgotten about. Around 5 or more years ago I bought quite a number of "affordable" s/h binoculars, and eventually settled on Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 and Bushnell Elite 8x42 ED Prime binoculars. Many others were purchased around the same time, and discarded. Yesterday I found my pair of Minolta 8x42 WP Classic Sport, probably unused since shortly after purchase. When I tried them yesterday, I was immediately aware of how good they were - so tried them again this morning in comparison with the Bushnell ED Prime pair. They're still OK, and they're waterproof which is rare for a Porro prism design.

What's changed since my purchasing spree some years ago is that I've had both eyes operated on for cataracts, and now have new spectacles and my sight now is probably better than it was for around a decade. (I had to ask my optician to check me for cataracts... they weren't bad enough then, but were done around 2 years later and on the NHS.)

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

The point is?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was wondering that too