1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better disconnect the routers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

s.jpg

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Shocking!

3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am disappointed that we never had any thunder and lightning :(

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It was great up here. I love storms.

I can't be in a storm though without the phrase "Hast du angst?" being said in my mind. It happens every time without fail. When I was in Germany in 1979 on an exchange visit we were in a brilliant storm and the German boys mother said that to me. I now always associate the two. Strange.

Zou and ascu75 like this.
  5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

It's sweltering on the Surrey-Hants border. I drove through "some rain" on the M3 on my way home from work last evening - just a few handful of drops over maybe a minute.
    Upstairs at home, the thermometer said 33 degrees when I got home, and with windows open and fans on it had not dropped by the time I got to bed..... when I did this, laying down on the mattress was akin to lying on a hot baking tray ! The bed appeared to be hotter than the surrounding air. It's no cooler this morning (working from home today) despite windows being open all night, and fans still on. I hope I am not going to melt

6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

My router is going to be replaced after a very nice lady at BT tested our system today. Engineers booked for next week but getting a baby router by post to tide is over. I have been struggling for weeks and bit the bullet today and did something about it. ;) X Don

7. Stephen Rundle

I am confused

My son called BT, our router was plugged into a Belkin surge protector, all our things are, computers, tv etc. Still blew, but they sent 2 ? Perhaps they just want to be sure one works :)

d.jpg s.jpg

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Does your ADSL line run through the surge protector? If not that may have been the problem.
    The lower image looks like ours, we have fibre to the cabinet, don't know what the other one is. Check on the back, I think ours is a Hub 4, if the other one is a Hub 5 it may be faster. You have now exhausted my knowledge on the subject.

9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I hope I gets fast new modem, not sure what the mini router is going to do o_O

10. Stephen Rundle

Yes :(

11. Stephen Rundle

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We have the Smart Hub 2, it survived last nights thunderstorm, if that's any recommendation. We haven't had it long, BT were changing everyone whose cabinet had fibre over to that in our area and we got the new hub to support it. No idea what the difference is.

13. Stephen Rundle

So far we have had four replacements in three years all lightning ALL in this but the one we have has phone in and out still blow up though

https://shop.bt.com/products/belkin...2-x-2-4-amp-usb-charging-bsv604af2m-9RLF.html

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

15. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I use a multiplug terminal with an antisurge resistor incorporated and have used it for at least 20 years and it has always done the job. No need to turn off anything. In fact if you turn off the router this can upset the strength of the signal for a few days until it thinks the line is stable again. (information from my provider, not something I have picked up off the web.)

The only time I shut mine off is if I am away for more than a few days or I am changing equipment around.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust Belkin Surge Protectors.
    I have used several over the years (still have a couple) but don't trust their protective capabilities. I have lost a PC to brownout during storms, which should have been protected. Other equipment has also become faulty.
    Biggest issue? That beautiful £30k lifetime guarantee (or whatever it is these days) that Belkin provide isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Their guarantee is actually for 5 years - check the terms and conditions online, and you may find that you get a shock like I did (no pun intended)

I haven't looked into surge protectors for a while, so I don't know which to recommend.

17. Stephen Rundle

I now agree you think Belkin is good but they are not

18. Stephen Rundle

100% BUT can anyone else suggest a better protector please

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't know about "better" but a simple Amazon search returns about 20 products, chose any one that isn't branded Belkin and see how you get on. I am sure there are plenty of other brands and sellers out there.

A surge protector will not protect you against a brown out. As you know a brown out is a significant drop in voltage and a surge protector is designed to protect against a sharp rise in voltage. The only protection against a brown out is a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Had a UPS.
    Couldn't afford to replace the battery pack with the correct one, so bought the batteries separately and wired them in....incorrectly.

Haven't got a UPS any more:confused: