1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best smartphone camera - your opinions!

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by ryancolin, Nov 18, 2020.

1. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

My ovveriding criterion whenever I change my phone is the camera.

Right now I use a Google Pixel 3a, the cheapest phone that Google makes. You should be able to pick one up at this stage for less than 300 STG. The photos from the camera are simply stunningly good; so good that I have actually stopped obsessively reading online reviews of camera phones. (Steve Litchfield is probably wondering what's happened to me.) I cannot give a phone a higher recommendation than that.

It's important to note that phones are only really good for one kind of photography, and that's street photography. All my family photos are done using the Pixel, as well. Phones have already killed off the compact, and I think the days of M4/3 are numbered (disclaimer: I use M4/3).

I'm curious to know what you all think of specific phone models, and particularly if it's worth getting one with three or four separate cameras on the back. I prefer the simple one-camera approach myself.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Personally I can't see the point. Don't use a phone. Like using a camera.

3. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

Well, this is the smartphone forum! ;)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I seldom use my 'phone for photography because I always have a more capable camera with me. Sometimes, though, it can be fun...

Wet window iPhone IMG_0142.JPG

It can be even more fun if you use an iPad!

iPad in hand camera TZ70 P1030655.JPG

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I use an iPhone XR. Happy with it and use it a lot for photo's as I always have my phone with me but unless I am going out to take photo's then I won't have a camera.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I've been really impressed with the latest Samsung offerings. As Nige said, always have a phone with me and not always able to carry a camera around. Especially when out walking the dogs or going to the shops.

The camera on the phone has enabled me to get photographs that I would've missed otherwise.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use a Galaxy S9+ - when new, it was among the very best cameras in a phone, but obviously things have moved on since. I use it for visual notes for my pro work - when location scouting, for instance. I also sometimes use a 1" sensor compact for that, but not all that much, and occasionally an APS-C mirrorless. But the phone does a good enough job otherwise.
    I also use it extensively for family and holiday snaps, especially for posting to social media instead of sending postcards. I don't use it much for "serious" photography, but if there's nothing else available, it's fine.

8. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Surely the “Best” camera phone will be the very latest releases.
    No idea what the current #1 Android is, but as I use apple, for me it will be one of new 12 models.
    Yes, I am very tempted, but the hassle in getting pictures off is what’s stalling me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

iPhone suits me fine.....brought a lot of fun back into the mix.

"Yes, I am very tempted, but the hassle in getting pictures off is what’s stalling me"

What hassle? connect to Mac> iPhone >Image Capture> Save wherever.......Or if you have LR. Import> iPhone Bingo

[​IMG]untitled (9 of 15) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  10. PeteRob

What the heck did you say to him!

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Looking at those eyes I'm far from convinced that you just pointed your phone at him!

Brian likes this.
  12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

He seems to be in Yorkshire - maybe Brian asked for a discount?

13. PeteRob

That would have derailed him.

Brian likes this.
  14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s fine and dandy....only I don’t have a Mac!!
    And Mister Gates isn’t too enamoured it seems. The win10 laptop neither too.

I do love apple, but their restraining order constricts more than it permits.

off topic
    I own all branded canon gear. Yet I could easily have chosen 3rd party but I’m happy with canon
    With apple...you will eat apple....and apple alone.
    That’s my beef!!