1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Slide Projectors?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by noonoomac, Aug 14, 2008.

1. noonoomac

noonoomac Member

What do people here think is the 'best' 35mm slide projector? I'm thinking in terms of brightness here and I'm really looking for something for a gallery show.

Cheers

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

How about a KODAK CAROUSEL. Now discontinued but plenty of second hand ones. Good range of lenses and just about the industry standard.

3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Really this is as much about the lens as anything else - the faster the better for image brightness.

On my own Leica P600 (Super-Colorplan P2 90mm f/2.5) which has a "bulb saving" reduced power setting setting I've hardly ever found it necessary to use full power.

4. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

The range of projectors is now down to 2 perhaps three makes/brands. I will be needing a new one in the not too distant future as the remote is about on it's last legs (Rollei) The one I think I will choose will be something from the Leitz stable there are a good few used and not abused at knock down prices

5. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Forgot to add that most projectors seem to have a common lens mount, so you can e.g. use Leica lenses with a Rollei projector. If you're thinking of buying a Leica projector, IMO the Colorplan is well worth the extra money compared with the Hektor.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm picking up on your word "gallery", and I'd recommend one of the wide range of Kodak S-AV Carousels for good reliability when used with properly mounted slides, and adequate brightness. A wide range of lenses is available, and some of them are very good e.g. the Meopta Dia Opticon MC 100mm f2.8 is excellent, if you can still find one. Some S-AV models have a reserve lamp, and AF is available as well, along with multi-media connectability.

OTOH my experience with LKM magazines and some projectors taking them, popular some years ago, has been fraught with trouble, so I'd advise you to steer clear.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or the later Ektapro range, I obtained one of these from the local auction house, complete with lens and remote for a bid of £15 plus the small buyers premium.

As has been stated there are a fair number of good quality projectors in the used market at reasonable prices. One local dealer haa an Elmo model (similar to Carousel) at £75 and a Kindermann projector for £49, along with some individual Kindermann accessories.

8. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I regularly use two carousel projectors in a small cinema seating about 200. A couple of times a year they run continuously for days on end during exhibitions. They are solid, reliable machines which never seem to let me down, despite being fed a mix of slide mounts as used by the visiting lecturers. Even the occasional bulb failure passes unnoticed thanks to the autochangeover.

Very heavy though

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

An amateur lightly used Carousel would be ideal. Be careful about condition. They were a professional workhorses and sometimes worked 24x7 for months on end in showrooms and exhibitions advertising everything from bridges to baby powder.

10. brendankiely

brendankiely New Member

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

This thread is over three years old, little point in reviving it now.

12. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Are slide projectors still made?

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I think Leica gave up a couple of years ago but there are still Braun projectors listed (new, in stock) on some web sites.

14. Oly_Man

Oly_Man Well-Known Member

Braun also recently advertised their slide-projectors in a recent A4 ad in AP.