1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place to Get Film Developed onto CD (UK only)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Thomas Keidan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I've recently used photo express to get a roll of film developed and put onto CD. Although i'm very happy with how it turned out i'm wondering if there are any other similarly priced services that offer higher resolution scans. Photo express scans to an opened file size of around 18mp but the compressed JPEG size they give is about 1.7-2.3mp. I'm wondering if anywhere else does higher resolutions for when i'm uploading to flickr/instagram. If not i'll have to settle for photo express but wondered if anyone knew of any recommendations. Thanks!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There are 2 things - the resolution of the scan and the degree of compression.

The print-shops usually scan to enough precision to do your print which is likely to be 6x4". Still, this should be enough for screen use and for Flickr. I only put 800 pixel for the biggest side online which is big enough to see and small enough to be useless to anyone wanting to pinch it.

There is no real reason why they should heavily compress a jpg - it can ruin anything that has smooth graduation of tones.

The pro outfits might offer more options on how they save the digitised file, unfortunately it means crawling through the service descriptions.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My first question is how many pixels make up your image? I'm guessing they will be 3000 x 2000

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Close
    So in theory you could produce 10" x 7" prints from the standard scan or 20" x 13" from high resolution scan
    To be honest you will struggle to find anything better elsewhere at that price. Shame that they don't do b/w except C41.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Have a look here. They offer quite a range of services but you'll need to dig around their menu system a bit.

6. Thomas Keidan

Yes around 3000 x 2000! Thanks for asking!

7. Thomas Keidan

Yes, I really want to buy some B&W film but processing is so expensive. I'll try the ilford c41 though!

8. Thomas Keidan

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Get a used film developing tank and changing bag ( if you haven't access to a dark room , or wardrobe to shut yourself in ) , a couple of bottles and the chemical's and your set to go .
    The stop bath and fixer can be reused , just mix up some fresh developer each time and developing a roll of black and white cost's pennies .

It takes less time to develop , fix and wash a roll than it would to take or send it somewhere .
    And you can alter how it's developed to suit your needs .

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Regarding scanning , if you've got a DSLR you can use that with a macro lens , or adapt an old enlarger lens , and take a picture of the film on a lightbox .
    There are plenty of threads on this subject if you do a search .
    For example , see here ;
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/best-way-to-scan-negatives.132896/#post-1467353

Image quality then will be better with 35mm film than can be achieved with a flatbed .
    It would be cheaper (and better ) in the longrun , if you intend useing quite a bit of film to get a dedicated 35mm film scanner .
    Something like a Plustek 7200 .
    They come up quite often for around £60 . At the cost of current film scanning services , you don't need to have many rolls scanned for it to have paid for itself .
    I'm still using my old Minolta DiMage Scan Duall IV that's 12 years old .
    Maximum resolution on mine is 3200dpi , which gives me an approximate 14 megapixel image , more than enough for most uses .
    The quality of the film and shot taken has a bigger play in what's achievable .
    The current Plustek models are about 7200 dpi . work it out .

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is certainly more convenient, on the odd occasions when I want to use mono film it is my choice, due to the easy processing. I still have the equipment to process traditional mono films, but I can't really be bothered to hand process the odd roll.

12. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

13. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I have used Photp-Hippo I think they are based in Burnley, they have done a good job with scanning negs to CD for me. They are associated with Fuji I think . I know this is an old post.