1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best gear for winter photography

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Burcu9320, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I was remembering a guy who was doing a project in Greenland back in the day. Middle of the winter, nothing worked as all the battery kept going flat. Except the Leica, sure the battery went flat but it made no difference as it was fully mechanical and worked fine apart from the light meter.
    That said I have never had the pleasure of owning a M Leica so I take your word for it Andrew. :)

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There are lots of Photographers with expertise in ultra cold conditions. But not yet turned up here it seems.
    Batteries are certain to be a problem but cameras can be tethered with the batteries close to the skin and kept at body temperature.
    Shutters and apertures stick if the lubrication freezes so winterisation would seem necessary.
    metal drops to the ambient temperature almost instantly and will stick to exposed skin.
    breath will freeze on contact.
    moving from warm to cold and back risks serious condensation.
    less to go wrong with a mirrorless
    best find an expert.....

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is there anyone still alive who has taken film to the cold limits. Does modern film even survive the cold as old film? Film cameras could be winterised using graphite lubricant.I also suspect that graphite based lubricants can survive space. I bet NASA will know.
    NASA were of course one of the first to go digital.
    For very cold very dry photography I guess you better ask NASA.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Herbert Ponting knew the answer to this question. Sadly he is not still with us. He died in 1935.
    I am not being facetious. The old technology worked in the most appalling of conditions. The present manufactures of photographic apparatus are letting down the intrepid photographers who wish to follow in Mr Ponting's footsteps.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I shot film in Alaska in March 1999 at -20℃ in a Nikon F5 with no problems.