1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Best Entry Level Camera?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by andrew bell, Nov 13, 2018.

1. andrew bell

andrew bell New Member

Ive been looking to get into the field, more than just snapping photos on my Iphone,
    Ive spotted this on a big discount and wondered if this will suffice?

https://amzn.to/2OLTqL6 Its called a Canon EOS 4000D

Any advice will help! Cheers!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew, there are a lot of options in going from an iphone to a camera. The "best" is a personal choice. My wife won't touch any of my cameras and I have to put a serious thinking hat on if I pick hers up. A thing you can do is go into a camera shop and ask for advice.

You basically have 4 camera types.
    Compact cameras are, generally small, cameras with either a fixed or zoom lens. Bridge cameras are a bit bigger, chunky and typically have a long range zoom. Compact system cameras (also called mirrorless cameras) take interchangeable lenses. Digital SLRs take interchangeable lenses and have a system that you look through the lens using a mirror system.

The Canon 4000D is an entry level DSLR. It is a perfectly good camera. The entry models are sold at a good price. Be sure to have a look at one and see of you like the feel of it. Be aware that a lot of internet prices are for non-UK stock and if it breaks you may not get it fixed under warranty. I'm not sure if it is a current model. London Camera Exchange list the 1300D as the base camera in the Canon range.

AP publishes a list of all DSLR and compact system cameras with a price guide in the first edition of the month. The magazine is published on a tuesday and the edition is dated the following saturday - so the first edition is the tuesday before the first saturday in a new month.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

First question - what will you want to do with the pictures you take?

If only look at them on a smartphone, tablet or PC screen than a compact or bridge camera will be more than adequate. Even the biggest TV screen you can buy is only about 8 megapixels resolution, and an 'ordinary' HD screen is about 2 megapixels.

But if you want to get decent prints done to display proudly in your home, an 'entry level' DSLR or 'mirrorless' camera body that allows the use of different lenses will allow you to take pictures that will survive enlargement. For example, my DSLR has a 16 megapixel sensor and I have had some 50 x 75 cm prints done that look good as long as I used a decent lens fitted to the camera body.

After answering this question, you need to do more research before spending any money. Don't rush to buy something from Amazon - and ignore 'big discount' descriptions until you have checked out the advertisers in AP first. I have used Amazon for audio equipment, but the best deals were always on discontinued models that I had researched and so knew exactly what I was getting.

If we were talking cars instead of cameras, you would be jumping from a moped to a decent car without any idea about its performance or how to drive it, and them finding out that you hated the design of the controls. Expensive mistakes are so easy to make...

Why not buy AP for a while and read some of the reviews and articles? Many of these may help you decide what you need, rather what you think you need. I put a comment on another thread recently about a retailer who told me why he had so many 'mint condition' DSLRs in stock - people buy them in a hurry and then decide they are not what they wanted. Perhaps you should visit one of the dealers who advertise in AP, or a local independent camera shop if you have one, and see what's available secondhand. Something that was a well-reviewed 'entry level' DSLR 2 or 3 years ago will still be a decent camera and probably excellent value for money.

A final point - if you buy a DSLR or mirrorless camera that allows you to use different lenses, you don't have to but it with the standard 'kit' lens. The camera body and any lenses you use with it can be seen as 2 separate purchases. So a new body with a secondhand lens of much better quality than the new 'kit' lens, or a secondhand Canon or Nikon DSLR body and a secondhand Sigma or Tamron zoom that offers more range than the 'kit' lens.

Have fun shopping - and if I've used terms that you don't understand, you definitely need to do some research, even if only a few minutes on Wikipedia or similar. But beware websites written by idiots who only say that their camera is the best ever made, and all else is rubbish.

4. andrew bell

andrew bell New Member

Ok so a little more background, im not looking to be the worlds best photographer, but i do go an adventurous dog walks exploring new places and would like something on hand to capture anything i think looks amazing :)

5. PeteRob

Like what for instance? I go on walks and I mostly take landscape pictures for which I need a lens that gives me a moderately wide angle of view and that's about it.

6. Chester AP

You still need to consider what you want to do with the pictures, because this is relevant to what kind of camera you get and how much you spend. 'Amazing' is a bit vague, but if your dog walks are 'adventurous' perhaps you should also consider the size and weight of the camera. If you get fed up carrying it you will probably leave it at home. As I said earlier, expensive mistakes are so easy to make...

It would be easy to say what I would buy, but I'm not you and don't know what you really want, and perhaps you don't either.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Buy a cheap second hand to see if it suits your needs e.g. A Canon40D and a couple of lens.

8. andrew bell

andrew bell New Member

Maybe print them out and give to my mother for mothers day in the future year, maybe canvas some for a wall, Im not too fussed on weight because i was looking at getting something like this
    https://amzn.to/2z82u86 Im hoping this will keep it safe and dry and mean im only really going to have to purchase one camera

9. zykelx

zykelx Member

Funny referral links to amazon ;-)

For a camera go for mirrorles bc it's the future and you will b eable to use e.g. vintage lenses.
    Backpack? Lowepro protactic v1

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That's a serious bag!
    If all you want is a camera and a lens that may be over the top but if you think you may want further lenses in the future it will be ideal for a growing kit. I am probably a poor example but I expect my cameras to survive being used outdoors, most of them have been rained/snowed on.

I have never, as I recall, owned an "entry level" camera. None of mine have had any aids to make it easier to get the result, which seems to be what differentiates entry level cameras these days.

If you are serious about photography, consider buying a previous top of the range camera, say a Canon 1D Mk 1 or 1Ds Mk 1, Nikon D2x or something similar, they will make you learn as they don't have any scene modes to make life easier. They may also be cheaper than a new entry level camera.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...or just buy a cheap camera and use it until you find there are pictures you can imagine but the camera won't let you achieve.

12. PeteRob

Any modern camera will give images big enough for wall prints of moderate size. That wasn't necessarily so 10+ years ago.

Bought new, many cameras come as a kit, and if they are APS-C, the standard sensor size, this will likely be a 18-55 mm lens which suitable for general photography through landscape to portraiture. The kit lenses are inexepnsive for a reason, to people started. The main expense in equipment is the cost of lenses not cameras.

The reason for asking what you like to photograph is that the first thing that happens when someone buys a camera is that they find they either want a wider angle of view (to get more in the frame) or a narrower angle of view (to enlarge more distant objects).

For interchangeable lens cameras this takes you down the road to buying more lenses. For compact type cameras this takes you down the road to the bigger bridge cameras.

I believe many people pair the Canon 18-55 with the 55-250 which has a good reputation as a low cost telephoto.

The range of lenses (and their cost) is very wide. I looked up the 4000D at Wex which is offered body only at £259 + a host of lens options (as a kit with the 18-55lens it is £299) . I was going to suggest the 15-85 as a better all-rounder than the 18-55 but I see it is quite expensive at £655.

The Christmas sales are starting. In camera shops the "street price" for new is usually close to Wex. It is worth comparing Wex and LCE prices. For new equipment, through approved dealers, the manufacturers are all offering cash-back offers. Beware that advertised prices may be after cash back. There is likely to be more used equipment around as Christmas gets closer. A camera shop will give a warranty on s/h bodies and lenses and these days they don't really touch stuff that's had a hard life. Buying s/h I'd suggest to stay with DSLR models less than ~3 years old mainly because the bigger technology jumps took place before that and it has slowed up a bit.

13. andrew bell

andrew bell New Member

What do people think of the canon ive linked compared to this? https://amzn.to/2B9S35i
    Anyone got experience with the two to advise me?

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not at that price. A D60 is still ok but Ffordes have one, body only about £80, and that is not particularly cheap. A lens could cost the same.

15. zykelx

zykelx Member

Oh people those are just referral links to get you use the guy/girl amazon affiliate and earn money o_O

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We got the point you were making the first time; not convinced that people are going to click through and buy from them the way these posts are worded, and so we're observing what happens...

17. zykelx

zykelx Member

Ok that's (almost) good but still you will get referral cookie for future purchases. doh

18. Chester AP

Ludicrously overpriced.

Stop looking at stuff you know nothing about on Amazon and go to a real camera shop with a good choice of decent secondhand stuff sold with a guarantee.

A few carefully used capital letters and apostrophes might be helpful too.