1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best choice for medium format (120) film to film this?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by attack_donut, Mar 29, 2012.

1. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

http://newtourismguide.blogspot.com/2011/04/antelope-canyon-in-arizona-amerika.html

Heading there in July, would love to take my Yashica 124G with me and shoot. Thing is, I've never done colour film before, all my colour work is digital, all my B/W work is film, but I'm hoping to get some poster-worthy shots, and that means medium format (my digital SLR is a Nikon D1x)

So suggestions? Tips and advice are always appreciated

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Transparency or prints?

Either way the choice is pretty limited these days. The sane choices are the products which share a brand name with a famous Japanese volcano. If you really really want high quality don't be tempted by high speed film - unless you really need speed, 100 ISO should be adequate. Personally I far prefer Provia to Velvia because of the oversaturation but it's still on the warm side, an 82B colour correction filter is a Good Idea if working in normal daylight. The print films I have less experience with. Kodak Portra 160 used to be highly regarded but I don't know what the availability is like these days.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would say that I would only consider using transparency film for this personally. This does rather reduce the choice to Fuji or Fuji. The remarks in the above post about the films are fair comments, it really depends on how saturated you prefer the results.

4. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

The area I'm going to will be of sandstone colours, with swaths of blue sky, so oversaturation isn't required. The local camera shops around my area are *useless* so getting slide film (that's transparency yes?) will be of the eBay or possibly KEH variety.
    I'm more than willing to buy several rolls of each and try them out before I go, just need some names of stuff to get.

Cheers!

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Fuji offer Velvia and Provia types. Basically Velvia 50 is the 'classic' high saturation film, the choice of many landscape photographers. There are two variants of Velvia 100, if I remember correctly 100f is slightly finer grained, again high saturation films. Provia 100 is more neutral than Velvia and has finer grain, I always found Fuji tended to run to a slight magenta cast. There were a few Kodak films of similar properties, some may still be available, there was a highly saturated 100iso Ektachrome (VS I think).

6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I'm not a big user of colour but I might have considered using colour neg. The subjects you will shooting have enormous brightness range, well beyond the capabilities of any transparency emulsion. I suppose if you were to bracket your exposures and then maybe meld them together in PS or somesuch, you'd get a good image, but any single image will not contain all the tones within the scene. Colour neg, OTH, has far more (the most - in fact) latitude and requires little, if any, filtration for variations in colour temperature. I also find that colour neg scans better than transparency (certainly on my Coolscan). Whatever film type you choose, good luck. T.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yeah, Velvia in particular can be a pig to scan (mostly due to the density in the shadows), but I've never felt happy with the colour balance using colour neg films ... the orange backing to the negative gives a cast which has to be corrected & this always tends to mess things up. What you mean when you say "liitle, if any, filtration for variations in colour temperature" is that, in practice, that the colour temperature has to be balanced after scanning (or in wet process printing) and this is a very unpredicatable hit-or-miss guessing game, usually miss rather than hit; or, there's no point in being subtle with colour correction filters as the printing / scanning process will thwart your efforts to get accurate colours anyway.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's much nonsense talked about Velvia being "oversaturated". It's not; in actual fact, it's just about all other films that are undersaturated. It IS on the warm side, but more orange than magenta when exposed correctly; it's Kodachrome, especially 200, that tended to go magenta. Jim Brandenburg, long time NG photographer, spelled it out nicely in last week's AP: "with Velvia the colours of the sky were true to reality and the greens were excellent. Velvia was also great with reds and skin tones. It was much better at handling the full spectrum of colours."

I can't imagine shooting Arizona on any film other than Velvia, TBH.

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Matter of opinion. It looks oversaturated to me. In fact I preferred Astia to Provia because of the lower saturation, and Provia is a lot less saturated than Velvia.

For some subjects, a film that overemphasises saturation is perfect. For others, it just doesn't work.