1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy Mirrorless DSLRs revealed.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Oh dear. Is it too much to ask that the emailing publicists ask the magazine staff to proof read their wisdom to the world.

John Fantastic likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Brilliant proofreading mistake. Where did you see it?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The AP Newsletter that landed in email inboxes a little earlier.

4. PeteRob

Oh. i’m fairly diligent in checking junk mail and didn’t spot it.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Just for the sake of argument, doesn't my Sony SLT-A65 qualify as a "mirrorless dSLR". After all, it's just about an SLR because the viewfinder, although electronic, is fed by a reflected light path but can you really call a pellicle a mirror?

I'll go and sit quietly in a corner 'till I feel better... :confused: :D

6. PeteRob

Just go sit in a corner :)

7. N Atherton

N Atherton Member

Apologies for this. FYI AP does not actually have any sub-editors any more, and significantly less editorial resource in general, so mistakes like this are likely to creep in from time to time.

John Fantastic likes this.
  8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the right place, but there is another use of 'mirrorless' that appears confusing.

AP uses the term 'mirrorless lenses' for its listings of conventional lenses that have been designed with a lens to sensor distance correct for use on mirrorless camera bodies. Perhaps 'lenses for your mirrorless camera' might be a good compromise between brevity and accuracy, whist still fitting on the cover.

It's obvious from some of the postings made by 'beginners' on the AP Forum that many of them don't understand the difference between a DSLR body with a reflex optical viewfinder and a mirrorless body that has been designed to look like an SLR. A few months ago we offered advice to a lady wanting to but her 'first DSLR', and after being pointed towards a real shop where she could handle some, she purchased one of the Olympus M4/3 mirrorless bodies with its kit lens. I told her it was a good choice and that it was probably ideal for what she had told us she wanted to do, but that it wasn't the type of camera she had originally told us she wanted to buy.

This is relevant to AP's camera body listings - what is the point is separating DSLRs and mirrorless, and ignoring Leica rangefinder bodies? If there was just one list, a column for 'viewfinder' type could be added, and the Leica bodies could be included.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No need to apologise Nigel. I suspect that many readers enjoy these little hiccups.:)

Mark101 likes this.
  10. PeteRob

I think you are being overly pedantic here.

The listings aren’t complete. I don’t think anyone in the market for a Leica rangefinder will find the omission significant, ditto for anyone wanted a fast super-telephoto lens.

11. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

If we ran just one single listing of both the DSLR and mirrorless lenses it would run to 11 pages, which is a big chunk of a 68 page issue and would mean taking outa feature which, for those not in the market for a lens, would not be welcome. By splitting it into three parts each one can easily be accommodated within the space that would formerly have been taken up by ads during better, pre-covid times.

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I was thinking more about the difference between mirrorless camera bodies styled to look like SLRs, and 'real' DSLRs, and that many potential purchasers don't understand (or have no interest in) the difference. With this in mind, if things ever return to 'normal', a monthly listing of 'camera bodies with interchangeable lenses' might be an idea to consider. Camera with fixed lenses (perhaps including smartphones, since AP reviews them) could be another listing on a regular cycle too.

AP is fortunate to make kept many of its regular advertisers - no doubt you have worked hard to keep them.

On a subject you referred to in another thread - my subscription copy of AP has now arrived on Monday for three consecutive weeks, so I assume Kelsey and your team have been working on the problem. Thank you for your involvement in that.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.
  13. PeteRob

People seem to like the viewfinder at the top and in the middle, that’s why the traditional camera shape is perpetuated. The conventional alternative is “rangefinder” style which is more perverse having the through-the-lens view and an off-centre viewfinder.

14. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

You have eyes as sharp as an eagle Learning. I did'nt even noticed it and for a few minutes was wondering what you were talking about. :)

15. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

No big deal N Atherton, actually I only commented on it because I was impressed by how some members can have eyes as sharp as an eagle. it took me awhile to find out what was wrong with the statement. :)

Nigel_Atherton likes this.