1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best beginner DSLR for landscape/wildlife photography

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by annecv, Nov 6, 2013.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Then I would urge you - as have others above - to think outside the box and go and see and - more importantly - handle CSCs, EVSLRs as well as DSLRs and find out which ones you are most comfortable with. It's not an easy task - especially as photo dealers can be thin on the ground these days - but over a few visits and playing sessions you may start to feel inclined to one make.

Try and work out which ones leave you feeling you are at home with the dials & buttons and menus, etc.. Which one could you carry all day with 2, 3 or 4 lenses in a bag AND with a tripod. Which one do you find most intuitive or will sacrifice some of that (accept a steeper learning curve) in exchange for some other qualities.

Then it will be time to think about lens availability. Sadly, that may force you to go for second best on the shortlist or may reinforce your first choice. :)

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Me too and I find the EVF on the NEX 6 far superior to the optical viewfinder on my Canon 5DII. The combination of 10 x magnification and focus peaking allows you to grab focus with a manual lens without difficulty. It's a bit like using an Old Olympus OM1 or Pentax MX, both of which had excellent viewfinders.

A further advantage of the EVF is that you can use it to closely inspect your shots without taking your eye away from the viewfinder. No more squinting at a rear screen when the sun shines.

3. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

The top of the range NEX models are very strongly built, at least equivalent to a similarly priced DSLR. Robustness, or lack of it, is not an issue.

The NEX range will take virtually any lens made, as they have a very short flange to sensor distance (18mm). With suitable adapters all of the common marques will fit, as, I believe, will your scope. You may or may not have autofocus in these circumstances.

I use a series of old film camera lenses which were never intended for autofocus, as well as Sony and Sigma lenses which are specifically designed for the camera and do provide autofocus.

It is probably true to say that the autofocus speed on the current crop of mirrorless cameras is not as fast at that on the latest DSLRs. I don't find this to be a disadvantage, but it does depend upon the shooting that you do.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have to say EVFs make me feel physically sick, I really can't get on with them. Absolutely horrible experience.

5. 0lybacker

I'm not affected so badly but get some 'rainbowing' with even the latest. However, at the Olympus 'Demi' launch, there were fluorescents in the main gallery area and the evf picked up and exaggerated their flicker which I found distracting & slightly uncomfortable.

Fortunately, I don't have to photograph under fluorescents much but it would be interesting to see how I or, more particularly, my eyes felt after a three/four hour studio session.

6. annecv

annecv Member

Yes, time to get out to the dealers and actually handle the cameras.I also note the points made about a good camera bag.
    I'm very grateful for all the advice from everyone,very interesting to hear the various pros and cons as you folks with real knowledge see them,has given me much more to think about.[​IMG]

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

But there are EVFs and EVFs, it's a rapidly developing technology. The latest incarnations are worlds away from what was available even just a few years ago.

I predict that virtually every enthusiast/professional camera will be using an EVF in the future. Currently Sony leads the way, but, sure as eggs, others will follow.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I predict you're wrong on that one - Canon and Nikon aren't that stupid. In fact they've both launched completely new DSLR product this year in new areas - Canon's 100D, and Nikon's Df. Further, in the latest sales figures shown for Japan, DSLR sales were up a lot more than mirrorless sales.

As for Sony leading the way, don't make me laugh - they hardly ever even follow themselves, let alone set the pace for others - a ridiculous company in that sense.

Oddly, though, I think they were partly on the right track with SLT technology - if only they had had the sense to include an optical element for a hybrid viewfinder, I think they would've been onto a winner. I've never yet seen an EVF I would consider usable, but the Fuji hybrids are terrific.

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Obviously a personal opinion, but I have still to see anything beating a pentaprism as a viewfinder. I don't think I will...

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The evf on the Sony A57, which I use some of the time is a multi-edged sword. In bright sunlight it is a nightmare, in low light it is much better, but the colour of the display is not particulary accurate when shooting. A good feature, to me anyway, as I don't tend to take bursts of shots, is the frozen image of the capture that appears in the finder until the release button is pressed again. The other plus is that these cameras are much quieter than a dslr due to the lack of a potentially shake inducing mirror flapping about.

11. 0lybacker

The ODVF on an Olympus Trip 35 is pretty nifty. ;):D

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just a quick observation from someone who has used a lot of OVFs but very few EVFs - on the camera I use (6D) the center point will focus accurately at light levels that do not allow the human eye to know exactly what is being focused on whereas an EVF will give a clear view even at that light level. I do not know if modern EVFs are yet good enough to fully take advantage of that fact but if not it is clearly only a matter of time before they beat the OVFs in all areas.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I haven't seen anything beating a pentaprism viewfinder either. Assuming that I am still alive and lucid for the next two years then I expect to change my opinion.

14. kno

kno Well-Known Member

I asked a similar question to you months ago. I was all pumped up to buy Nikon. The advice I received from snorri and others was go handle some cameras in a shop. I did and bought a canon. But they are all good. For 'wild life' my 55-250 lens which came in a bundle is bril.