1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Berlin

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by dream_police, Jul 19, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hope you bought some stickers and/or posters.

3. dream_police

Neither. The shop that the stairwell leads to should have loan companies at the entrance. Very expensive. Some individual, graffiti type posters were several hundred Euros!

Catriona and Geren like this.
  4. dream_police

Thank you.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Can I suggest you stop eating cheese before going to sleep.

dream_police likes this.
  6. dream_police

Definitely the last ones!

This is not how I intended it to look. I was just shooting out of the train window, into the sun through filthy glass. They were not worth saving. There was something about this one though, although I can't tell you what.. I accept it is crap.

[​IMG]Train window by Nigel G, on Flickr

Grass through shattered glass on a walkway/shelter from the train station to the airport. Again folk stepping round me as I am getting on the ground to take a photo of some weird shit!

[​IMG]shattered grass by Nigel G, on Flickr

Geren, RovingMike, Zou and 2 others like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I love them especially the broken glass and grass one. Print, frame and on the wall!
    The first one is almost religious and the blend from blue to mellow yellow very calming.
    PS Crumbs, it's weird how I read an image right to left...

dream_police likes this.
  8. dream_police

I don't know whether it was having a new camera or being in a different city, albeit, I knew it a bit, or a bit of both, but I really enjoyed taking photo's, more than I have in a while. I'm just glad I was with Colin though, otherwise there would have been thousands to look through!

Zou, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

DSC_7647b.JPG
    I got to see the original painting on the remains of The Wall,
    my hotel was close to Alexanderplatz and one day on the way back in the afternoon, I came across:
    DSC_7422b.JPG

dream_police likes this.
  10. IvorETower

Also, from too many to post here but this thread has revived good memories
    DSC_7060b.JPG

RovingMike, Zou and dream_police like this.
  11. dream_police

Yes, I saw the original down at The East Side Gallery (I think that’s what it is called ) where the wall is, last time I was there.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Great stuff, if I remember I'll check the rest on Flickr.

Is it just me though or is there a wee bit of barrel distortion on the Fuji? I've noticed it in other people's X100 shots too, and am somewhat surprised it isn't auto corrected out... Only an 'issue' in the geometric stuff though.

I think there really is something special about wandering around a photographic city with a fixed lens. Instead of zooming lazily it makes interrogating the scene more enjoyable, meaning you really look.

I remembered today my passport expired during lockdown. Hopefully won't need it any time soon as there's a huge backlog. Berlin has been on my list for a while but seeing these pictures has pushed it a couple of places higher in that list. Thanks!

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I was there first in 1957 as a British Soldier ( Royal Army Medical Corps) in British Military Hospital Spandau area then went back 60 years later in 2017 to re-take some same shots as I did in 1957 which was not easy -- the Russians had blasted all the trees in the Tiergarten so you could see the Reichstag ruins from the Brandenburg Gate ( In Russian Sector! ) but in 2017 the trees had grown UP so much it was impossible and I had to 'Hunt' to find the Reichstag -- they had repaired all the Bullet Holes by then ---- I have my photos on my 'FLICKR' album here :
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/albums/72157646946795744

Geren and dream_police like this.
  14. dream_police

Excellent. Thanks for posting the link.

15. IvorETower

Indeed - a fascinating set of photos

16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Actually the film is about young heroin addicts around Zoo Station - which was, at the time, the main station in West Berlin. Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo.

Lynn

17. dream_police

Oh, OK, thought it was East. Thanks

It actually makes more sense for it to be in the west. Good film either way. I am sure I read the book too.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nige. Do you speak German and do most of them speak English?
    I am very much opposed to all this cheap aero travel for the masses, However I have just looked at return flights from East Midlands. Hotel prices aren't bad either. I few days in Berlin would seem to be less expensive than London. What's it like getting around? I'm tempted. After all I am not part of the masses am I.;)

19. dream_police

O Level standard of German. Most people speak very good English. We never had a problem at all with language. Getting around is easy. We walked most of it, but you can buy single tickets, multi tickets, day tickets etc from machines that have an English language option. They are cheap and can be used on S Bahn (trains), U Bahn (underground), buses and trams. You MUST remember to validate your ticket (stamped in a machine) before you travel, although I never saw any ticket inspectors and you don't go through barriers anywhere.
    Schönefeld airport is linked by various trains to Berlin (€3.60). Tegel airport is bus only to Berlin.

I stayed in Motel One, Alexanderplatz. Good hotel, good location. Time before was Capri hotel, also in Mitte near museum island. That was nice.

The Stasi museum and Stasi prison (both just a short U Bahn or tram ride away out of the City) are worth a visit.

Learning likes this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That will make you one of the masses. The only valid reason for objecting to cheap aero travel for the masses in my book is that it really adds unpleasantness at all levels to those forced to travel economy for business.