1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEM & Stag

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

One from the weekend, not planned, a quick grab before the moment passed, then we shared a sandwich. :)
    The colour is okay but tried the mandatory mono conversion.
    Comments and crit welcome.
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

wow...it's really soft, the big file is a lot sharper.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Unusually for me I prefer the colour version. It 'pops' more, if you know what I mean.

3. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

4. aljones27

aljones27 Well-Known Member

Already commented on flickr, but, I'll happily say it again - the B&W is stunning. Great tonal range and detail - everyone really should click on the link to the large version.

Superbly captured moment and something I'd happily hang on a wall...

5. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

cant decide ,i like both..
    the detail blows me away.

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I have looked on Flickr and I'm amazed by this. The colour is better and I would crop a slice off the left to balance the composition. But what a fantastic shot! Did the animal just happen to wander along, pause for the photo and carry on?

It seems almost unbelievably good.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Still colour for me on this one. The blues and browny oranges complement each other so very well. Maybe lift the midtones a bit to lighten, but to be honest both are great shots.

8. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

If I had taken it, I would be more than proud. There's a minor niggle - and I am being very picky - that weightens the balance to the mono version, the background pines under its neck. The mono version hides it away. Did you press the shutter again after the stag was gone? The scene is magnificent.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  9. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Jaw dropping shot!

10. evilbuttmunkeh

evilbuttmunkeh Well-Known Member

awesome shot.

you shared a sandwich with it?

11. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

I wondered when this would make an appearance, been looking at it through your flickr site for a while and thought it was an absolute corker. Brilliant in colour but, and it's surprises me, looks even better converted.

What sandwich did you share, just curious?

12. wave

wave Well-Known Member

This is a really good shot and its better than the colour version to me

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My preference is the colour version, it has a more subtle aura.

14. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

Magnificent!

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Wow! That's almost the definitive Highlands shot. Have you considered flogging it to the Tourist Board? I can just imagine it on a poster with "Visit the Highlands" in large, friendly letters along the bottom left :)

I think I actually prefer the mono, but I'm sure the TB would want colour.

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I too prefer the colour version. The vignette is just a tad heavy in the mono version for me. A stunner though and I hope it's heading for one of your walls.

17. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

stunning photo and its B&W for me

How close did you get to the stag? weren't you worried about it attacking you ? I dont know how tame these animals are in the wild

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

The best picture I have seen this year! and I bet I wont see another like it untill next year....I like the colour picture too, they are two pictures that should sell easily and perhaps win a few competitions, I would push this picture around to the limits, I just wish I had it in my collection! Well done......

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I'm going to be really picky - I would prefer a little more separation between stag and mountain for absolute perfection. Easy for me to say, sitting here in the warm. ;)

I'm also a little disappointed in the colour version - I thought it ought to be better than the B&W, but it's not. However, the B&W one is great.

20. Mort11

Mort11 Well-Known Member

Love it, especially the mono.