1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before and After - An Editing Thread

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Fen, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread with our own examples of edited photos.

Not other peoples work, but photos we have edited ourselves to either remove unwanted elements, add in objects, or other drastic changes to the image.

To start... here is one of two benches on the beach in Poole, Dorset.

It was pouring down with rain and 50mph winds coming from the West (the right as you look at the photo). I quickly jumped out of the cover of the shops to run across to the benches to to take the photos. I got drenched! But I managed to get the shot I wanted, even with the torrential rain. I knew what I wanted in my mind and that I could edit out the extra stuff in the background. The benches aren't there any more which is a shame as I'd like to go back and photograph them again.

Anyway... here are the photos.

Before:
    [​IMG]

Afrer:
    [​IMG]

Now, let's see your best examples... and the story behind them :)

Original images here:
    Unedited
    Edited

2. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

Taken inside the Arts/Music centre at Gateshead, the extremes in lighting levels, posed quite a challenge. First of all selected the foreground and managed to get detail showing in these areas. I then had to put some 'life' into this area via the Saturation, Brightness and Contrast settings, without impacting on the clouds & sky outside. Finally, to further enhance the detail in the chairs, table and items on it, I used the 'Smart Edge' tool (In PSP X2) to select these items and then applied more Saturation & Brightness, then adjusted the contrast.

Original ....

[​IMG]

Edited ...

[​IMG]

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As with Fen, i could see the shot i wanted but without a brighter light source had to work some photoshoppery to get it to happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could have got it in camera, but couldn't find a light bright enough, i was stood on a wobbly chair for this shot. Its about as drastic as post processing ever gets for me, just levels, desaturation and cloning of the light on the bottom right.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Fen,

A bit like my "The Picture (from the camera)- The Shot(from the computer)" thing I tried in the Appraisal Gallery, a few months back only I just cropped and adjusted the exposure (because I can kind a do that) but no cloning (because I can't do it well and don't really like it :))

Cheers and great pics :)

Jack