1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bees

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Aug 1, 2021.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve discovered this morning that there appears to be a bees`nest in the garden.
    There`s a Nevada shrub rose in one corner with a low stone wall in front of it,
    and underneath is a gap between the low wall and the soil which is at a lower level.There`s been a lot of
    coming and going while I watched.I don`t know what type of bee it is but a few
    years ago we had a few leaf cutter bees in a different spot.
    I`ll keep and eye on them and hopefully get a few shots.I should think my 90mm macro lens should be ok.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Don’t risk yourself if it is a honey bee colony. We had a beekeeper on the allotments and one hive lost the queen which makes them tetchy. Bees give a first warning if they feel the colony is threatened. They fly into you, feels like being hit by a pea-shooter.

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning Pete.I hadn`t intended to get in close for I can see the risk.
    I thought 90mm as a short telephoto keeping well back may yield a few shots.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Could be a swarm?

S

5. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

Sound great! :D I love bees and have found them to be photogenic. But in saying that I don’t have one picture taken this year and I ain’t going searching on old hard drives this time of night :eek:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I take bees with a 70-200 and a 1.7x converter, at the long end!

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Individual bees no problem, they won’t bother you, a 100 mm macro is fine. I’d be more wary of homing in on a nest even with a close focus 340 mm equivalent.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Bees and even wasps rarely are trouble unless you bother them. I do suspect however that we might emit pheromones of fear when we are afraid. And bees recognise that they may have an advantage. That is only suspicion, not a fact.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  9. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

Footloose and Learning like this.
  10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The rooting up of hedges and a reduction in the width of untended borders between the hedge and cultivated land has had an impact. What is people find surprising, (although I don't think they should) is that bees are thriving within towns and cities (probably) as a consequence of increased greening in these areas and the much wider range of different flower plantings.
    Some beekeepers have hives that are moved to different sites such as orchards to pollinate their plantings etc because the bee is far better at doing this than any of the other methods.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.