1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been using the new Sony lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I've been using the new Sony 85mm f/2.8 and the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA for a couple of weeks with the Alpha 900. Although cheap-feeling the 28mm is surprisingly good. The 24mm is just what you'd expect.

You can read a preview report here.

I'll let you know when we get production samples in for testing.

DD

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So which of the 85mm and the 24mm is the 28mm? :D :D

An 85mm f2.8 seems like a very old-fashioned sec. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

3. Damien_Demolder

Reasonable point I suppose. :D Slight key-stroke error there - meant to write that the 85mm is cheap. The 28mm obvious came about due to far too many numbers flying around in my head - and the resemblence to f/2.8 (shut your eyes and hold your nose and they look the same).

Still not sure what
    is though. :D :D

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ere, you're taking the p... :D

Old fashioned spec. Although I can't see what's wrong with old-fashioned secs...

I must say I do like the fact that primes seem to be appearing from a number of manufacturers, and not always in exotic guise.

5. Damien_Demolder

Ah, I see. It's a silent 'p', as in 'bed'

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or "swimming bath".

7. Damien_Demolder

Anyone tempted by these lenses? According to the camera poll we only have 23 Sony users. I'm still a big fan of the A700 and A900, especially with the CZ lenses.

8. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I've only an A100 and A350, so I don't think they'll be any good. Besides I already have a Minolta 28mm F2.8 and a 50mm F1.7, along with a Sigma 105mm macro.
    I have no intention of going full frame in the forseeable future either!

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have the Sony a900 but I do not intend to buy any more lenses - or any other photo gear for that matter. I have sufficient for my small needs and I have two other hobbies demanding attention and some funding.

10. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

a900 with a350 as backup. My standard body/lens combos are a900/SAL2470Z plus a350/SAL18250. The awesome go-everywhere lens is the SAL70400G, which is great - but totally different - on either body.

Interested in these new offerings? Not really, but wouldn't turn down any CZ glass that needed re-homing. ;) :D

11. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I'm Minolta (for film) and K-M (for digital) so not a Sony user as such but if you want to make it to 24 I don't mind.

Not interested in the lenses because, like others, I have a collection of rather fine lenses already - including those focal lengths.

MickLL

PS (Damien) Write out 100 times, "I must learn the difference between fair and fare".

PPS Just realised I am a Sony user - I have a T77 that I use for 'happy snaps' :D

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I'm not to sure about the 85mm 'cause I reckon I'm well served by my KM 85 f/1.4 GD, the 24mm Zeiss would be of interest as 24mm is one of my favourite focal lengths, Damien, I'd be happy to help you out with the 24mm, where I could conduct side by side tests against my Minolta 24mm f/2.8 using my a900 for AP over a (very/permanent)lengthy period of time ;)

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I think I'll stick with my Tamron 90/2.8 macro, it also behaves well as a normal lens, not just macro. As for the CZ 85 glass, no one will ever convince me that the advantages over this Sony (or my Tamron 90) are worth anything like the near £1000 price difference, double the price maybe, but 5 times no way.

However there are obviously enough people for whom the name Zeiss is all that is needed, in the same way that they will go for Armani, Gucci and other "designer labels"

14. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

But you know what they say, "Once you've had Zeiss, there's no going back". ;) :D

Or summat like that...

[If I was buying just for the label, then I'd have ended up with the designer end of the 'trendy' Canikon carp. And I've never knowingly bought anything from Armani, Gucci and other "designer labels".]

15. Damien_Demolder

:D whoops - where did I writ that?

16. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Second sentence of the review. ;)

MickLL

17. Damien_Demolder

I can't see the bit you mean. On my screen the spillings are perfect. Perhaps you need to get your's calibrated.

Thanks - the shame! :(

To be honest I had to hammer the thing out. I'd used the lenses loads and got lots of pictures, but I had been told the embargo was next month. I thought I had ages. And then I got the press release. I had to write up my notes double quick time and didn't have enough time to conceal the fact that I can hardly spell 'cat'. :D

18. photoluke

photoluke Member

well for me I've always wanted a 35mm, 50mm and 85mm prime set up and now with the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f2.8 I can do exactly that.

I'm not arsed about cheap build quality because I prefer lightweight lenses when street shooting. I think that Sony could have easily made the 85mm f2.8 into an f2 and then increased the price up to around £300 but seems as the only other 85mm available is £1000 I think that the f2.8 might suit me just fine.