1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Been out with the K-3 at last

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

To pretend that is Facebook, David, ….. ;)

Cheers,

Jack

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Feeling some what miffed and that's a word I only use in polite conversation when really I'm feeling some what VFPO. I decided to research battery grips for my forth coming K3 as it is now forth coming. Did the Google and low and behold Wex came up and what do I see. K3 at £775 mine is costing £868 with a 50mm lens that was on special offer. The camera is actually £819 so I'm down £44 on my deal.

Guess I've just got to suck it up. They say a week is a long time in politics it's a bleedin' life time in photography. Still mustn't grumble, just look forward to the imminent arrival of my more expensive item than some one else's.

Ps must try harder to put a positive spin on this.

3. Done_rundleCams

Hi Frank,

FWIW, over here, they've just started changing/increasing rebates and adding lens inclusion specials within the last 6 weeks or so :eek: and
    I know a few folks who, like yourself, are probably quite miffed :(

Hopefully, all the miffedness is gone when you start seeing the images :)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will as I am eagerly awaiting its arrival and there is the £70 cash back offer. Though I am dubious about the cash back deals. According to one poster here he has had good results with a Pentax cash back deal. It's only £44 could be worse. That's a quarter of the cost of a grip. No no get a grip on a more positive spin. If the cash back is good then I've got a fifth on the grip. No that's not working a quarter is better than a fifth. :rolleyes:

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

My K-3 prestige was £1099, with grip and two batteries. I did get a flue card for free (?). Not sure how that stacks up with current prices.

Not even sure if all of the Prestige units allocated to the UK have been sold. I was told it was only 100 coming here, so perhaps they have all gone.

We will always loose out when buying new kit if we are at the front of the queue. It is a balance between getting what you want when you want it, or going without until the money is right.

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I was an early adopter, got the K3 the day it was out, having PX'd my old nikon kit a fortnight earlier and placed a pre-order. I took the step as I feared my D300s body would have lost too much value second hand by the time I came to part with it otherwise.

For the princely sum of *scrabbles in memory* about £1389(?) I got the K3 with WR18-55 kit lens bundle and added a WR55-200. When the kit arrived to my utter dismay the WR18-55 had a hideous plastic mount and no lens hood :(. This wasn't a kit lens. It was a suggestion, a taster for what a lens may offer the camera. I was a bit disappointed to say the least considering it was their flagship model, added to that the WR50-200, while having a metal mount, is a bit of a dog too (my copy at least), but the camera itself is wonderful. Got on to Ffordes right away and picked up a respectable second hand Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which now lives on my camera...

...Unless it's raining, where the plastic not-so-fantastic comes out. Heck, i'd use it in the rain even if it was not WR, that's how little regard I have for it. ;) I know I'm being a bit of a lens snob, having moved from the 24-70 f2.8 to a plastic kits lens was a bit of a rude awakening, but what a kick in the bottom! Not even a lens hood...

And what do I find about a month later? The WR18-50 kit has been scrapped (I wonder why :rolleyes: *cough* plastic mount and no lens hood *cough*) and they are offering a special 18-50 & 50-200 offer at a lower price to shift the final units...

But all of that aside, the body saved my experience. It really is a very nice camera to use and I really don't think I made a mistake being an early adopter. My old D300s is now selling on eBay for £300/£400 which is a lot less than I PX'd mine for :) As mentioned above, you will pay what you will at the time if you think it's worth it, and on the bright side, remember prices can go up as well as down... Imagine how you'd have felt if you'd waited, then they announced a 10% price hike. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  7. Monobod

Yes, it is the same with everything we pay for. Be it hot dogs or cars or whatever, we judge the purchase against the need or the want (these are not the same of course). Even my house here has lost value compared to what I paid for it six years ago at the peak of the market, but I do not regret buying it.

I really love the K-3, it is giving me results that I could never have had from the K-5 and it is better ergonomically as well. It is demanding of top notch lenses, but fortunately all but one of my current stock work very well including the 2 Sigma EX zooms (10-20 and 100-300 f/4). The Pentax lenses are all from film days so full frame, which means I am only using the cropped sweet spot on the K-3. Edge definition is very good in all of them.

Goodness knows what I will do when the FF K-1(?) arrives. Ignore it probably. :rolleyes:

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Well it has arrived and much sooner that expected almost as if it arrived in a flash. Fell asleep before I could have a rummage through it so will have to do that this evening. Liking what I've seen so far but still smarting over the price.

Got to let it go Frank, oh and another thing the 50mm has a plastic mount. Beginning to think this deal is not as good as I thought but I did get my first Xmas card from Wex. Thanking me for my custom and hoping to do business with me next year. Ahhww isn't that nice.

9. Monobod

Don't worry about the price, you have a really fine camera and the results will soften the cost. Strange though that they supplied a low cost lens, but it may be optically OK???

10. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I have been trying it out with the 50mm but not really checked the quality of the lens via my PC monitor. Later on today the model I'm shooting wants to do a shower shoot.

That should test the cameras metal. I'm over the price now, no I'm not. It's like when one loses their virginity you can never get it back:rolleyes:.

11. Done_rundleCams

Just remember, Frank, whilst the K-3 has very good weatherproofing, the DA 50/1.8 so you might want to be careful when shooting in the shower :eek: …. ;)

Cheers,

Jack

12. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Didn't use the 50mm very small bathroom. Have to say loving the camera only using the 18/55mm originally bought with the Pentax ist d and that's not WR. I was more concerned about the Bowens Prolite getting steamed up. Thankfully it was only me that got steamed up:p.

13. Monobod

Hmm........:)

14. Done_rundleCams

:D:D:D

Jack

15. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Another shower shoot yesterday and even more steamier. All I can say is the Pentax battery is bloody good. Two shoots on the K3 and not a recharge in between them. If only my Sony 57s battery was as good.

16. Done_rundleCams

That's great, Frank :) and, OOC, approximately how many shots in total? I found
    that with my K-r (DL-109 battery), it was good for around 300(?) shots.

Cheers,

Jack

17. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Well I got up to 600 or there abouts and the two separate shoots would have had me showing either models images as we progressed. I always show models images as it's good to review what we are doing.

Ever since I first bought a K10 I've been impressed with the Pentax battery. Even on my used K7 the battery is the same. This is why I don't need an extra battery as back up but ideally it would be a good thing to have one. The old memory is not as good as it could be and on the day of a shoot. When with a severe jolt of memory I suddenly think, Oh no battery needs charging model's here in two hours.

I always manage to sort something out.

18. Done_rundleCams

I'm back to two(2) Lithium-Ion batteries, as well as a set on Eneloops and, just in case, a set of 4 Energiser AA Lithiums ;) and no models, just shooting stuff :D
    And, OOC, Frank, where might we peruse your photographic endeavours?

Cheers,

Jack

19. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

You can peruse my pics at
    www.flickr.com/photos/cube1
    Not sure if there are any shower shots in there. Don't want to get you all steamed up as well Jack.
    Ps
    I don't claim greatness in my shots I just acknowledge the ability to press a button.:rolleyes:

20. Done_rundleCams

Well, Frank, I daresay, you're doing a great job of pressing the shutter … cracking photos, mate :)

cheers,

Jack