1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Been out with the K-3 at last

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I would tend to agree that the K-5 has a slightly better dynamic range, but the noise control is pretty good and quite easily dealt with in NIK dfine.

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I had a K20D too. The leap from a K20 to a K5 was a quantum leap. K5 to K3 I get that, there's lots to like about the K3, but in terms of image quality the leap is smaller, every picture I've seen from the K3 convinces me of that. My money is being saved to skip a generation. You can now get a decent used K5 for £250, that's an absolute bargain in my book. The K5 will go down as a classic dslr, it really set the bar very high.

3. Monobod

May I suggest you take a look at the detail in this shots on my Flickr site? For some reason I cannot attach them here, possibly because they are larger files.

You should see that the leap from K-5 to K-3 is quite a bit more than you suggest. I too had convinced myself that the upgrade wasn't worth it until I downloaded some original RAW files. That changed my mind.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  4. Ffolrord

I've seen plenty of K3 shots and looked at raws in detail. I could use a K3, it's a great camera, but my preference would be for a K5IIs. I know of several fellow Pentaxians who have tried a K3 and reverted to the K5. Others see the K3 as a step up. It's just one of things where quality of either is so good that suitability is down to individual style and subject choice. I personally think that 24mp on APSC is a little too much in the resolution/noise balance. Nikon decided to stick to 36mp in their D800 replacement, rather than take it to 50mp and I agree with them that that is enough pixel density. I don't see myself going beyond that ratio any time soon.

Looking at images on a computer screen isn't going to change my mind. There are more important variables at play anyway than the sensor. I might only be persuaded by comparing large prints where the effects of noise and noise reduction can be properly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  5. Monobod

I agree that the K-5 is sill a worthy camera and will be so for ever. I was joking a bit when I said my previous images didn't look good any more. But there is no doubt that the higher resolution does make a difference.

The noise on the K-3 is probably not as well controlled as it would be on a full frame 24Mp sensor, but Pentax do not appear to be in any hurry to go down that path. I cannot really justify jumping ship to Nikon and I do not care for Canon cameras so it was a case of stick with what I had or upgrade.

Pentax have always produced superbly engineered cameras with control features unique to the brand, which I much appreciate, but probably because of a lack of funding the electronics have fallen well behind the competition. In many ways the K-3 has addressed that shortfall. I had the opportunity this weekend to take photographs inside Shakespeare's Church in Stratford on Avon. The light was dim so I used 1600 ISO. I was impressed with the low level of noise and what was there seemed to be less harsh than on the K-5 at the same ISO and it was easily dealt with in NIK Dfine. The K-3 has many more improvements that add to its 'a joy to use' factor. It is not just about resolution.

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think that's a good overall assessment. Pentax's Achilles' heel has always been the autofocus. With the K3, it looks as though the low light performance is now comparable with other makes, but perhaps tracking speed still has a little room for improvement - I haven't had opportunity to do full comparisons.

Certainly, the control ergonomics and funtionality seem to be better than most (once I unlearn the finger memory of the K20D! :) )

7. Ffolrord

But it's worth bearing in mind that the K5ii was a big AF improvement over the K5 in accuracy and low light. I think the K3 improves further on speed and maybe a little in accuracy/low light. Continuous is an improvement although still the Achilles heel.

8. Monobod

But look at what you get for the money, compared to other top brands!

9. Ffolrord

Certainly no arguing with that.

10. AlexMonro

Hear, hear!

But that's why we're Pentaxians, and not Canikolympusonies! :)

(Admirable though the products of other manufacturers may be in some situations .:) )

11. Ffolrord

Actually I think those attracted away from Pentax often go to Fuji. And it is easy to see why.

Another common move is to the Nikon full frame. Pentax will hopefully rectify that soon. The Sony A7 also tempts us away, especially as people can still use their lenses.

Canon seems the least attractive to Pentaxians - the single biggest attraction being the MPE65 macro, but not much more.

12. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of buying a K3 from Wex with a 50mm 1.8 lens for £868 with a £70 cash back deal. I'm buying on a buy now pay later option with no interest. It's my first time buying like this the bank approved the loan. All this coming from an email from ephotozine telling me about the cash back deal.

When I clicked on the page it took me to the Wex website and as some of you probably know. Wex offer no interest deals on some items and just having a look at what K3s were on the page. The body only came up with the buy now pay later deal.

Not having done this before I thought let's see what happens and before I knew it the bank approved my application. I just have to send them prove of who I am and I should have the camera soon.

Still have time to pull out so what do you guys think go for it or not. The 50mm lens came up as a something you might be interested in also option.

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have not purchased in this manner before, however if you have the means to buy in this way there is no reason not to. I presume it will improve your credit score when completed successfully, too...

As far as the camera is concerned, it's a very capable machine indeed, as you may have seen from the results on his thread, but of course we K3'rs would say that ;)

14. AlexMonro

£868 seems to be the best total price Camerapricebuster finds for the K3 body and 50/1.8 separately, not including delivery (SRS), so that's probably not a bad price, especially with the interest free buy now, pay later - I can't comment on that deal, never having done one myself.

I did do a Pentax cashback deal a few years ago, and that went smoothly.

As you've probably seen from my comments on the K3 earlier in the thread, I'm another very happy K3 bunny, but I acknowledge that fast tracking AF is not its strongest point.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  15. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

There's a free delivery option on it and because it has the BNPL deal. I will go ahead and buy it. Even though I hardly do photography these days £72 a month for the next twelve can't be a bad reason for having a new toy to play with. From the K10 to the K7 to the K3. Passed the K5 by though I did have an interest in it but didn't have the money.

16. Monobod

I live near to WEX and use them a lot. A good reliable dealership, so I would expect the offer to be sound. Even so, I have bought my last two dslr's from SRS. They are also nice people to do business with.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  17. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I've got no worries about Wex my real worry is justifying spending so much money on a camera. So the BNPL option takes the sting out of the purchase.

Still have to send details to the bank yet. I don't have an envelop how am I going to be able to afford one of them. Catch 22

18. Monobod

All I can say is this, despite the excellent performance of the K-5 and earlier versions, you will be amazed at the fine detail that the K-3 can achieve. The performance is improved in just about every way and with the added buttons it is a joy to use. Just check your lens stock, as this sensor is a bit more demanding.

19. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Envelope wise, Frank, you might do what me boss does and take an old envelope and white out whatever cr@p maybe on it and write the current, necessary, details on it, stuff your stuff inside, pop on a stamp and put it in the proper slot at the post office :) Then, just wait for the fun to begin -- camera arrival, unboxing, charging of the battery and then photographing household objects :D

Cheers,

Jack

20. Monobod

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014