1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Been accosted yet ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mediaman, May 8, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had a few old colleagues move over to NZ quite a few years ago when they were on a recruitment drive.

John Farrell likes this.
  2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I've not seen groups of club cyclists locally out since lockdown. Although my rides are solo at present, I've not worn my club kit in case it winds up the anti-cyclist Stasi. Luckily, once out of the built up area, I have plenty of quiet lanes where there is little traffic or pedestrians.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

And for a similar reason I haven't gone out and made videos of some of the more interesting sections of local trails. Or at least haven't made any new ones despite the dry conditions being ideal for not getting mud on the lens. I may have posted a video of me going down some steps and suggested it would be difficult to go faster than 35mph down them though :D.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In my experience, as a long time cyclist, the selfish stupidity of some cyclists is what "winds up" other road users. As an example: groups of cyclists on winding country roads who bunch up, blocking other vehicles from passing safely. How difficult is it to keep 25 yards apart when the road conditions require it?

5. dream_police

I've not seen many TBF, though probably more than I should. Most folk are out solo. A couple of weeks ago I was cycling home and there was a solo rider in his jersey pushing his bike, close to my home. He didn't have a tube or a kit with him, so he came to my house and I gave him one.
    Wife moaned about social distancing but the poor sod had about a 10 mile walk otherwise.

daft_biker likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Perhaps he should have stayed closer to home then?

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Did he have a puncture or were you just being friendly:rolleyes:

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

:eek:

AndyTake2 and daft_biker like this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I've mentioned my ancient (93) friend on here before. He lives alone in a small flat and the highlight of his day (any day, not just lockdown day) is to walk around the park that's his neighbour. He can't do the whole circuit without a short stop at a bench. He got moved on by the police last week.

MickLL

10. dream_police

We actually kept apart. I gave him the kit and he stayed in the drive. Not like we kissed and cuddled. That wasn't part of the service. I'll leave that to Andy.

DaveM399 and daft_biker like this.
  11. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My wife and I have self isolated for the past six weeks or so.The only people I`ve seen are my two sons who stop by frequently.
    Living in a street way from the main road we see very few otherwise.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ahem!

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I listened to a chief constable the other day who was being asked abouut police involvement re (for want of a better phrase) population distancing control.
    He was very careful to say their role was a health and safety one. I presume if people are not congregating as groups or doing daft things, they are not interested in you.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Both Cycling UK and British Cycling have issued strict guidance that there should be no group cycling. they define a group as 2 or more people. So it is ride on your own as far as unrelated individuals are concerned. Clubs are affiliated to one body or the other. Our local clubs have, together with the council, also called for riders to stay off “traffic free” routes as experienced riders are well able to use roads, especially with the reduced traffic volumes.

15. PeteRob

I wear my club vest to advertise Cycling UK and Chester & North Wales CTC to the huge number of newly recreational cyclists I see out. It would be wonderful to have more people signing up.

16. PeteRob

That’s always a difficult one. If a car is hovering then I tend to fall back and leave a gap but if it is very winding or the driver is timid and won’t pass even when there is good room to do so then it can be better to just try and get through the obstruction as fast as possible which is best done grouped, even riding 2 up to shorten the overtake. Luckily we don’t ride in big groups or on many roads like that that carry traffic.

DaveM399 likes this.
  17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

An old friend of mine, who chose to live in a big city when he retired from the police, as told me that his 'chums' are mostly looking for anybody who might be distributing illegal drugs, and at present 'young persons' using bicycles appears to be a popular method. Even joggers in tight clothing could have small amounts 'secreted about their person'.

So any drug distribution system that uses old people walking dogs, or mums with pushchairs, is probably still working without any police interest.

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Not seen any police on my walks, but then I rarely see more than a bare handful of people, and on occasion I haven't seen anyone, even on Chesil Beach. Mind you, at low tide, I have seen where people have walked along the shore and left their footprints in the sand.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is the sound of distant drumming just the fingers on your hand?

DaveS likes this.
  20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would suspect that the latter already occurs.