1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Been accosted yet ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mediaman, May 8, 2020.

1. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

On other photographic forums that I am on, people are posting images taken outside every day... so, I would like to know if anyone on here has been stopped by the police if they have been out snapping while out "exercising"

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No. In fact the last time I was out the police smiled and waved at me. (No not to flag me down). I am too cronked to run or cycle for exercise so I walk when I can. I can walk with or without a camera. Not sure what the problem is.

Catriona likes this.
  3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The only time I'm out other than going to work is either to the shops or when I take my dog a walk .
    I tend to go places that I know should be fairly quiet anyway .
    So no , no mither .
    I've not been stopped by the police on the road either .

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Nope, not stopped but small town, so not likely to see many coppers.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it depends if you are exercising or not. Wandering about with a camera, with the walking incidental to the photography, as opposed to walking purposely but stopping occasionally to take a picture would be cause to be talked to I think. It’s the same issue as moving people on who are sunbathing, sitting on benches for enjoyment rather than necessity etc. I’ve basically interpreted going out for exercise (in my case riding a bike) as meaning don’t stop for a rest, in addition to keeping good separation from others of course.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I can't recall seeing any policing going on here at the moment. I see few people when I am out shopping or for a walk. On my walk, I do take pictures. It's important for my mental health, apart from anything else. It's a balance, at my age, safety or going bonkers. I prefer to try to keep my sanity.

mediaman and John Farrell like this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I haven't even been stopped on the way to work. A bit disappointing actually, as I've a letter in my glovebox telling them why I'm travelling.

Catriona likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My brother got stopped at Piccadilly train station yesterday as he was changing trains to come to my mums. He needed to borrow her car so he can take his wife to Birmingham (unexpected medical reasons) . He told them, they were happy and pleasant with it and allowed him to continue.

mediaman and Catriona like this.
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Seen plenty cops around but not had any interaction beyond exchanging pleasantries. I took my camera to walk a dog yesterday and I've also seen a retired cop I know out with his camera regularly looking for birds to photograph.....usually he drives to photograph planes, trains and beauty spots but is limited to where he can walk to just now.

I see nothing wrong with being out with a camera if you can get peace to enjoy it.

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I suspect, and I'm pretty sure that Nige has said this before, the rule here is "Don't be a knob".

dream_police, steveandthedogs and MJB like this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've rarely seen a policeman when I've been out - and I've even walked past the local police station (community policing centre) a couple of times.

Catriona likes this.
  12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Nope, there are no longer enough policemen to allow them to be seen regularly.....austerity and all that.

Graeme

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a policeman out here in years.

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

What Police ? Nobody I know has even seen one for weeks,

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The times I have been out, either to have a quick walk to buy a newspaper or to go food shopping I have seen at least one police vehicle whilst outside.

16. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Have you tried tinder or plenty of fish?

17. dream_police

There was, maybe still is, a site such as those dedicated to emergency personnel (uniform wearers no doubt) and the people that like them. I had some friends who had some fun, sorry dated, some ladies on the thing.

18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

On my cycle rides, I've seen plenty of cyclists in groups of 2, 3, 4 or more who do not appear to be part of the same household. I have seen some of my regular cycling buddies and they are all riding solo, it seems to be the new wave of cyclists who are not following the guidelines.

19. dream_police

My wife asked yesterday, when we were out walking if cycling clubs have had an exemption as there were several groups each wearing club jerseys.

20. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Here, the government aims to increase the police force by 1800 - unlike Britain, our police force is a national one, funded by central government.

Catriona likes this.