1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay leaves...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHeath, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Some of the recent temperatures might kill off Laurus nobilis. I have wrapped my own small tree with two layers of bubble wrap (bubbles to bubbles). This tree is the very fragrant and edible variety of Laurus (provided you are sensible about quantities) and known as Bay. It was introduced to Britain by the Romans. I keep it to a very nice and very elegant conical shape by regular pruning; A little snip here, a little snip there. Twice a week is about right. It is evergreen. New spring growth is a bit feeble in taste and aroma.
    More unruly is rosemary. Rosemary is also evergreen.I do not need to give this winter weather protection. I have two varieties. One is the old fashioned type, and one is a trailing variation. Both have good aroma and taste. I also grow thyme. The leaves are not at their best in winter but still better off the shrub than dried. Sage also keeps its leaves in Winter but they are not as good as in summer. I do not understand why anyone doesn't grow these perennial herbs. I have a garden but they would grow almost as well in window boxes.
    I also grow flat leaved parsley and coriander. They are a bit more bother and run to seed a bit two easily if you let them get a bit dry in a drought. They are best treated as annuals but can be overwintered and are biennial..
    Then there chives. Chives are a real pain to weed. If you get twitch(couch grass) in your chives bed then you might well kill the lot with weedkiller and start again. I don't grow ordinary chives because they are a bit too subtle for my taste. I grow garlic chives.
    Basil grows better in Italy than in Nottinghamshire. I still try. Basil is wonderful in tomato dishes.
    All these herbs make ordinary cheap food special.

neilt3 likes this.
  2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Don't forget a pot of mint .
    Asides from mint sauce for your lamb , it's nice to add a few sprigs to boiled new potatoes or garden peas .

just make sure it's in a pot and not in the ground .

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I thought that everyone with a garden had mint whether they wanted it or not.:)

Zou likes this.
  4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Not around here , just in pots .
    We don't need to give any protection in winter to our herbs around here , including Bay , so we're quite lucky .
    I'm East of Manchester , before rising up to the Pennines , they keep us quite sheltered .

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Boiled? Steamed surely?

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I grow lots of herbs in my garden. Last year I thought I would grow them all in rows of plots listed by alphabetical order.

When I told my neighbour what I was doing he said "Good God man, how do you find the time?"

"That’s easy", I said, "right next to the sage and tarragon!"

Now where did I put my coat? (and hat, scarf and gloves today) :)

RogerMac, neilt3, Zou and 5 others like this.
  7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well , there certainly steaming when they come out of the pan !
    I often mean to pick a steamer up for the greens , but then forget again .
    I tend to not overcook veg anyway , so just gently simmering them doesn't seem to lose the flavour .