1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery chargers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, May 31, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Am I alone in wanting to have two chargers for my computer?
    For some years I have had two chargers for my computer, one in my computer bag and on at home, If I were still working I would have one at home and one at work for convenience. I have multiple chargers for my cameras because, having two identical bodies I received one with each.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Desktop FTW.

(for the win :D)

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don’t really like desktop computers, rather restricting if you need a computer in more than one place.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Accepting that you don't "need" a computer in more than one place is what I believe the youngsters are calling a "life hack."

zx9r and Dan S like this.
  5. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I have a custom desktop that I built myself, have been building my own desk tops since I started to use computers a long long time ago.

I also have a nice Dell 13 inch laptop which I take on my travels as needs be.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that I don’t need a computer in every room room

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I couldn't speak for your needs, but I know I certainly don't. If I feel the need for a computer but don't have one in the room I tend to reach for the smartphone.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I’m in the process of changing computers so I have several. Soon I hope to be down to two.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

And if, like me, you don't have a smartphone, just go to the room where the PC lives.

Learning likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If using a laptop as a main computer and for work the “best” (most ergonomic) option is to have a docking station permanently wired to power, keyboard and monitor at the workplace. This is what I had for home office before I retired. Such setups don’t seem to be easily available outside the corporate computing market. I don’t know why - just drop the laptop in and fire up. Leave the other charger in the bag for use while travelling.

Zou likes this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

These youngsters will be wanting a phone that plugs into the wall next!

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You could reduce to one and run as many VMs as nostalgia (or need) demands.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's called an iPhone with a crappy unreplaceable battery... :rolleyes:

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Currently have 8 computers.
    Main office computer for imaging.
    Old HP computer for monitoring.
    Two laptops in the conservatory for remote imaging.
    Remote computers for obsy and platform.
    Stick PC for the little rig.
    Tablet PC for casual internet and remote access.
    Plus the smartphone I'm using at the mo.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A docking station for a Mac? Not exactly convenient as they just use the left side USB ports except the ones I have found don't have inbuilt power so they need the charger.

No I couldn't, a 15" MacBook Pro won't fit my Billingham Hadley One and no virtual machine will make it a 13" MacBook Air, which does fit the bag.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, I've got a desktop computer with dual monitor setup for my pro photo work, plus a 13" laptop for location work. Then I have another 13" laptop for my wife's business. We've got a shared desktop in the downstairs office that came in pretty handy in lockdown. And I've a couple of small box PCs attached to 2 TVs that we probably don't need, but come in handy from time to time. And a Kindle Fire.
    Multiple chargers, though? All the laptops I've bought for my wife's business have used the same type of charger - that's as far as I've gone down that route.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I use a desktop and an iPad at home, just the iPad when I’m way from home. For work I have a laptop which needs to come with me when travelling but no need for me to take a charger as I can borrow a spare at the destination.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I now have a second charger, frighteningly expensive but never mind.

19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Can I ask what you use your computer for when away from home?

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Audio recording, editing Powerpoint presentations, downloading youtube clips, editing photographs, and that was just Sunday.