1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Battery behaviour

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by GeoffR, Mar 18, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Copied from another thread so as not to hi-jack that one.
    If the battery discharges by 6% per day in the camera does it also drain by 6% when not in the camera?
    Does any battery that is in the camera discharge at 6% per day or is it only the one?

All batteries suffer from a degree of self discharge but 6% does seem high.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, they do go down but very slowly. It’s annoying. Trawl the internet and there are individual examples of almost every Canon camera model suffering this. The camera had a new motherboard for another fault which didn’t fix it. If I was using the camera every day it wouldn’t be a problem but I can go a few weeks between using it. The batteries seemingly don’t like being drained flat. Their recharge status quickly goes off however, even the one showing red (= knackered) has been on spec for number of shots when it is fully charged. This only gets tested if I’m at an event though.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting, I could leave my D2s switched on and asleep or switched off and there seemed to be little difference in battery drain. It took weeks for the battery to fall to my recharge point.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The D800 and D500 both drain very slowly even if carelessly put away switched on.

5. PeteRob

Annoying rather than interesting! My 1Div loses nothing as far as I can tell, even though it and battery are 8 years old this year. My Fujis lose a tiny bit. My original 5D was OK until the battery went. Putting a grip on takes the 5Ds twice as long to discharge the batteries because it balances the load!

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The only time I have had noticeable battery drain on my Canons is when the GPS was left on and when I used a grip on the 5D.

7. PeteRob

It is rare, something not right, not common enough to be a “known fault”. I should have reported it when the camera was new but it is only very noticeable if the camera isn’t used.

8. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, I have noticed that my Bosch Metal hydride batteries discharge when not in use, the older one more so. Lithium iron do not, so far! What type of battery does your camera use?

9. PeteRob

Lithium ion I presume - standard rechargeable.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Nickel metal hydride batteries are similar to the old Ni-Cads, they self-discharge very rapidly apart from the "stay-charged" variants such as Eneloop. Lithium-ion is much, much better in this regard, usually you can leave them for 6 months without a top-up charge and maybe a year (which is not advisable)

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

NiMh batteries (cells if we are being pedantic) suffer less self discharge than do NiCd and later versions are much better. Li-ion cells have some interesting characteristics in that the retain charge longer if not fully charged, so if it is intended to have a battery in storage it should be fully charged then discharged by 4% or 5% before being removed from the device, if possible. Recharging them before they go below 25% also increases their lives, they really don’t like being deep discharged. NiMh on the other hand can benefit from a deep discharge.

Neither NiMh or Li-ion suffer from memory effects.