1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Batteries......

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Scphoto, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Battery

1. Original

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 3rd Party from a recognised brand

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

...the achilles heel of the Fuji system I know - so a question do I go 3rd party or stump up the £50 or so for an official one?

Any brands recommended or avoided?

So far I've been o.k. with it only running out once - but once I guess can be too often (although I should have fully charged it before going out)

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They tend to die without warning. I have two third-party, along with original Fuji. The two non-oe are Duracell and Maxsima, the former is better, the latter doesn't last long at all (it came as a spare with a used camera). One of the Fujifilm ones came from Amazon (themselves) at a low £28, a price which lasted a very short time. I did buy a used oe battery from a reliable Ebay seller, that one is fine. So my experience says genuine or Duracell, but I certainly wouldn't buy Maxsima.

I haven't voted, I voted to remain, how's that for bringing Brexit into a thread?;)

peterba and Scphoto like this.
  3. Scphoto

Thanks for the info. My leaning is towards a Fuji Battery - I'm hoping that the prices will come down again soon.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

IIRC, I've posted on this subject before, but I've had several batteries (including Fuji equivalents) from digi-quick over a period of several years. I've had no problems with any of their batteries, their prices are very competitive, and they dispatch promptly. (No connection with them, other than as a satisfied customer).

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I bought 2 Ex-Pro batteries, still early days but at £14 each I can't grumble.

6. peterba

Oh, I forgot to mention Brexit... ;)

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I quickly bought a second battery for my XE-2. The camera tends to indicate full charge until it isn't anymore and the lifetime is very short. I guess it is because it is driving the LCD/viewfinder. The spare battery is a Hahnel and was bought off the shelf from LCE. I see no difference in performance to the original Fuji. It would be good if they would "chip" the batteries so that you could see accurately what is left. My Canons give a % remaining which is pretty accurate.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've got a Hahnel as well as a Fuji, seems to do the job.

S

9. peterba

This happens with both my x- series Fuji cameras, and happens with both Fuji and 3rd-party batteries.

I once read an explanation which suggested that the problem can't be 'adjusted' out by a firmware fix, since hardware is at the root of it. I have no way of knowing whether this is actually true, but I've never seen anything claiming to be a fix, so perhaps it is true.

10. PeteRob

I suspect it is because the power indicator is simply the voltage and that the drain characteristics of the battery are such that it maintains voltage very well as it discharges. To get an accurate measure of status you'd have to determine the actual charge held when the battery is full and count the charge used. That needs additional circuitry in the battery. In my Canon 1Div every now and again (I've done it once I think, since 2012) the battery has to be charged and discharged in the charger to recalibrate the "status counter". In my other Canon you can't calibrate it - there is an indicator that says the full battery is not holding as much as it should - and the camera also has an energy "leak" somewhere which is most annoying. A a full battery will drain in ~10 days if the camera is not used.

peterba likes this.
  11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've got a Hahnel working alongside my original Fuji battery for my X-T1 - I've never had a problem with either. The battery power indicator is a pain in the bottom, but it's mitigated somewhat for me because I only use my X-T1 with the battery grip. With grip attached, you get two power indicators on the rear screen, one for the grip and one for the body. To make things better still, when the grip is attached, the camera will prioritise taking power from the battery in the grip so that this battery must run out completely before it'll start powering itself from the one on the body.

Cheers, Jeff

12. peterba

Yes, Pete - I think that's roughly what I read, although it was some considerable time ago, and the details are very hazy now.

13. Scphoto

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can pick up at the photography show, at least the 3rd party batteries seem o.k. despite the lack of charge info.

14. PeteRob

There is no difference in the charge info. between a Fuji battery and a Hahnel (that being the one I know) battery for Fuji. It is just that Fuji didn't design for anything better.

Scphoto and peterba like this.