1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

bateman's tower revisited

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Dan S, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Petrochemist, El_Sid and Smartiepants like this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It does look interesting. How about in fog or mist, when you get some?

3. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that, I wake up Mrs Dan most mornings by peering out of the window at around 4am looking for fog :D

Good idea though, I think there is definitely more mileage left in that tower yet :)

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I bet that lean makes editing fun...

Adrian

5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, the first time around I thought it was me.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nice set, particularly 1 and 4. At the risk of breaking the Exhibition lounge rules can I suggest losing the wire - especially in 1...

7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks, I like 4 the best too.
    And feel free to offer ideas, they are always welcome.
    I guess to remove the wire I would need to open it in photoshop? I've not really got my head around PS and have yet to use it, Ive only use light room so far. But I agree, it would look better without the wire.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Dan,
    It's really easy... less than a minute with the "Healing" brush:-

Wire removed.jpg

Dan S likes this.
  9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Peter, I need to have a go in PS and get used to it I think.

peterba likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The content aware stuff in Photoshop is mind blowing. I think it's well worth every photographer who has Photoshop or access to it spending a few hours reading up on those tools (content aware fill, healing brush, etc.) on YouTube. For minimal effort you can make significant improves to images. They don't work in every situation and you might need more tools to achieve the effect, but here, they're very, very effective.

Dan S and peterba like this.
  11. peterba

I agree with everything in your post, Tony - and this part, in particular, is well worth noting! :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think much of the skill comes from recognising early it's going to be a lost cause, and it's not always obvious.

peterba likes this.
  13. peterba

Yep... nail on the head again, Tony!

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think Dan that you could put your best shots up in appraisal gallery without embarrassment and get useful feedback.

15. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I just had a go in PS... I need to spend some time learning I think. Some things seem easy, but some a bit frustrating I need to get used to it and use it.

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

Any specific difficulties, Dan?

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I wonder whether Dan has the same trouble I have. I used to be really good at cloning stuff out about 15 years ago, did some restoration of heavily damaged photos, but the algorithms must have changed by the time Elephants 9 arrived (my current version), and I can't get my head round it. I find it replaces with what I want for a bit, then starts cloning from a different spot, and starts pasting the edges of the bits I've already pasted back onto themselves.

18. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Yes, I tried the cloning tool but didnt have much joy with that either, as where it samples from moves and is usually different in tone so often doesn't look right. I feel I'm more of the problem than the program though.

I've tried removing things from the horizon (sea meets sky) using the spot healing brush (not sure if this is the correct tool for the job) but it messes withe the horizon terribly. Is there a better way?

19. peterba

Yes - don't use the spot healing brush, use the healing brush. This involves using a "source point" (using Alt-click), and when you do that, be sure that the source area represents a similar shape to the way you want the 'repair' area to appear.

Then, when you've got the technique more-or-less right... try it again and again, in different situations... until you get good at it. :)

Dan S likes this.
  20. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

OK, that makes sense, I'll try that. Thanks Peter