1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandstand Promenade

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by El_Sid, Jan 14, 2022 at 12:42 PM.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It doesn’t really work for me. I guess this is taken from quite close and with your big wide-angle lens. My eye first goes to the mess on the concrete. The four ladies don’t really connect to the bandstand and the viewing height looks odd, as if the camera were high in the air - which I think is because of the wide-angle lens. ​

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Similar thoughts, plus the cloud pattern is a bit "off", but then I usually have problems with clouds not looking good in my shots

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree. You're in no-mans land here. Not close enough to make the people the real subject and nothing really going on there either. Too close to them for the bandstand to be the subject and them just accessories.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Without the ladies in the foreground, and cropped just below the grandstand, it could be a comment on despair and isolation during Covid or perhaps an unusual urban landscape shot (the cloud pattern in the sky would also be a greater part of the image). Did you take any other shots a few moments earlier or later?

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Has a disconnected feel, leaving me not sure where the real elements are. One option might be to crop the right to concentrate more on the four ladies. It might be better to also do a mono conversion..

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is not a photograph I would have taken as I never use a lens as wide as that.
    As it is I would de-distort it. And also clone out the tatty tarmac. I would probably then crop it.

All in all it would have been easier to use a less wide angle lens from the same position.

8. RovingMike

Would be my stab at it:

[​IMG]

Dan S and zx9r like this.
  9. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

^^ Better but I can't help thinking that the picture is in the four ladies and their shadows, all to easy to say after the fact and there is nothing you can do in the crop.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

About what I was envisaging.

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I prefer
    AP Bandstand 2.jpg

RovingMike likes this.
  12. RovingMike

Yes, if you keep the whole left shadow, the framing goes unbalanced.

13. RovingMike

Actually, this sits quite nicely:

[​IMG]

El_Sid and zx9r like this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

To my eyes the cropped shadow looks better, as the women seem to be coming into the picture, it gives it more energy.

15. RovingMike

And the shapes suit square better too.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your comments. I was a bit unsure about this, I liked the position of the figures and the space they're moving into but have to agree the tarmac is a bit messy - possibly to messy to clone out...

Mike's crops are not something I had considered, perhaps I should have but it's so easy to fixate on one concept and not see alternatives. Ivor's crop is beautifully simple and has definite appeal as well.

As you have probably realised this was taken with the fisheye as I was out to experiment with it - I guess this one didn't quite come off...:)

17. Terrywoodenpic

Went back to the original and swept the tarmack a bit. 51687066540_01ce3cbbf4_b-WEB.jpg

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Almost the original - you've lost a shadow head. Good cleanup!

19. Terrywoodenpic

I left the cracks it adds leading lines. actually makes a good composition.