1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad case of G.A.S. here

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by ryancolin, Nov 18, 2020.

1. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

Hi y'all,
    I'm an unabashed gearhead, and quite happy with being just a "decent photographer" and have no pretensions to being an excellent one. I just like playing with my camera and, especially, trading it in for another camera. I love doing that.

Right now I have a Lumix G9, but how long that will last is anyone's guess.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well, if it's a bad GAS case, not long.

A couple of years ago there was a thread on cameras that folk currently owned or had owned - there were counts into the hundreds if I recall.

I don't suffer GAS but I've got 5, differently purposed, digital cameras and 2 currently unused but functional film ones.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Welcome.
    Nikon almost paused my GAS when I bought my second D500. They have not produced any camera since the D500 that temps me. I say almost because I did buy a Nikkor 200-500 and a current 70-300 shortly after they became available.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Most if not all of my cameras offer more than my ability requires. If equipment is your thing, then enjoy. I am amazed that some people change systems very frequently for a substantial cost but for a small improvement in performance.

5. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

Totally agree with everything you say. It's not always a small improvement in performance, though. I changed from DSLR to mirrorless because I shoot a lot in theaters (I'm a member of an improv theater group), and the noise the DSLR made was intrusive. Things can get very quiet in a theater and the rat-at-at of the DSLR can be extremely inappropriate.

But I'm learning to manage my G.A.S. now. These days I only change system once a year ... :)

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very nice camera. Mine has a 100-400mm permanently fitted, good for air shows...

Battle of Britain Flight at Weston Super Mare Air Show G9 P1010725.JPG
    Biplane at Sidmouth Air Show G9 P1012777.JPG
    Catalina at Weston Super Mare Air Show G9 P1010606.JPG

7. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

Oo, very nice! I live in Italy and every year the national aerobatics team does a couple of stunts over the racetrack nearby as part of the opening ceremony. I've considered getting a long lens, but it would literally be just for that one two-minute window every year... I might suffer from GAS, but I can't justify the expense just for that.

Attached Files: