1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up - a real pain

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

In a sense this is a story of my own failings but might be a warning for others.

I have been using a programme called Comodo for my back ups. It came with an external HDD that I bought. Recently it's been nagging me to update so I did. the new programme then nagged me to do a 'system back up' so I did. I chose the option to 'make an image' of my C drive.

The programme was not very intuitive and the instructions were web based and the website took an age to respond so I ended up by not reading the instructions properly.

The prog did indeed make an image of my C drive - but in doing so it wiped everything else of the external HDD, made a partition the size of C; and left the rest of the external HDD 'unallocated'. I 'lost' several hundred GB of files.

It's not a disaster, just mighty inconvenient, and I will now have to spend time copying stuff to the places I want it.

Be warned.

MickLL

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm afraid it did what it said on the tin. Not very useful unless you want to make another boot drive.

None of these back up programs is intuitive. I use Norton Ghost for no better reason than I'm used to it. 11.00am every day for my data files. Photographs I just copy onto separate drives. Last count I had about 17TB (yes that's terabytes) of storage.

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Why not have a look at SyncToy from Microsoft (FREE). It simply copies everything you ask it to and is simple to operate. Even I can do it.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I use FolderClone (recommended by someone here some time ago), and it copies my data files from my main external HDD to my backup external HDD. It does this when it senses my PC isn't in use, and as one of my data HDDs did fail, it stopped a routine failure turning into a first order disaster.

I keep the bare minimum of my data on C:\ drive, and use another application to copy my emails etc. from C:\ to a folder on my main data drive - when I remember... (Must do it now!)

The main disadvantage of external HDDs is that they love having a sleep, so accessing my data can take time.

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks for that. I've installed it and run it successfully. My problem is that I get error messages when I try to set up a daily run in task scheduler. I'm sure that it's to do with passwords and users. Too tired to continue trying to sort it but I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    MickLL

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

As a slight aside, I recently experimented with windows 7's backup facility which allows you to make a "system image" which you are (supposed!) to be able to restore from? Tried it twice and it didn't work either time! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BigWill

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Windows....hmmm?
    My iMac has a similar system called Time Machine which does the same job, but with the usual Apple computer feature - you know the one.....it actually works! ;) :D :eek:

8. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I also found that Task Scheduler didn't work too well, either, so I just use SyncToy once a week, or more often if I have a lot of pictures to back up.

9. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

Possibly not, from memory there are two executables supplied with SyncToy (I'm using version 2.1). To use Task Scheduler, there is a specific section to show you how it must be done. With my version - select 'Help' and the second item from the top is 'Learn how to schedule SyncToy'

Tony

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks. I've done that but no joy. I am the only user on my machine and therefore there are no separate accounts and no passwords. The scheduler default seems to be to expect a password and when it doesn't get one it won't play. So far I've not found the answer.

MickLL