1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back & Rested

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Just returned from a two week holiday in Scotland which was fantastic after 16 months of shielding. We had one week in a campervan visiting Stirling, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness and back down through Pitlochry. We felt quite safe with onboard bathroom and cooking facilities. We then moved on to a self catering apartment in central Edinburgh and saw some sites, but I picked an apartment block with an underground car park meaning we could do fairly safe trips out of the city to see the Kelpies, Falkirk Wheel etc. Weather was fantastic except for an extremely hot day at Lock Lomond Shores Campsite where we spent the day on site with cold drinks, air con up full and binge watched the latest series of Baptiste. We found it hard to leave Edinburgh, and at midday yesterday we were still sitting in a street cafe drinking americano's and nibbling on fresh Italian pastries. Oh well, that's another holiday over =, so back to earth with a thud ! :(

2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time :):):)

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Imagine having an enjoyable time in Edinburgh!!!? At least you had your Americanos.

You certainly did benefit from a decent spell of midge suppressing weather.

Graeme

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Extremely good to hear, Mark, especially as we are off that way on Thursday for a week!

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Mark101, post: 1714423, member: 14107". . . ]drinking americano's and nibbling on fresh Italian pastries.

Gezza likes this.
  6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't try tracking down some of Scotland's chippy delicacies, which reputedly include things deep-fried Crispy Creme doughnuts, battered Doner Kebabs or for the vegetarians, chopped lettuce and cucumber! o_O :rolleyes:

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Avoided most of the fat laden treats this time around, but did opt for Italian pastry and lashings of coffee https://posts.gle/K3yJbj

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Fantastic to hear of your trip, Mark... it's got me thinking that maybe I should escape work for a short holiday in Scotland later this year if the European travel situation is still in a muddle

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Good to have you back Mark.I`m glad you enjoyed Scotland.
    I`m ashamed to admit I`ve never been there.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Uh-oh, better hide the funny place name signs. Are you seeing Twatt again?

11. gray1720

Depends how lucky I am!

I have threatened to take the teenage niece to Dull, just so she can complain that it's dull.

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought so. AFAIK, he's in Downing Street at the moment.

gray1720 likes this.
  13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have just got back from our trip. We left home on Friday for the 206 mile journey which should have taken 4 hours. Thanks to the wonderful M6 and the equally wonderful M5 it took us 6 1/2 hours.
    On the whole the weather was crap. The campsite had nice big pitches and had very few folk on it. It was an eco friendly wild camping site with compost toilets and outdoor showers. I’ve done my bit for the planet now. Back to normal bogs!

Lots of space around each pitch. We are the blue van.

[​IMG]Untitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

composting loos, outdoor showers and pot washing area.

It was nice that most of the grass was left to grow long. Lots of insects, butterflies etc.

Zou likes this.
  14. gray1720

Oh gods, we are up the M6 - roadworks?

15. dream_police

The roadworks are there but at 60mph and mainly 3 lanes. It was volume of traffic I think, weather, maybe a bump or 2 as well. The M5 was by far the worse though. That was heading south.

Coming back today, north, it wasn’t too bad at all. We did it in 4 hours including a quick stop. You can never tell with that bloody motorway though.

gray1720 likes this.
  16. gray1720

Fingers crossed, then, from where we are there's no real alternative!

17. dream_police

I hate driving up the A34 too which I assume you’ll be using. That maybe due to the many years I spent travelling from Newbury area back to family up here in Cheshire. I can’t stand that road.

18. gray1720

Until I get another season ticket I have to commute up & down the f***er! Thankfully to head North we only use six or seven miles of it, and if it's bad we can go cross-country and get onto the M40 at J10.

There was an A34 classic a few weeks ago - someone somehow managed to get their artic on top of the crash barrier with said barrier down the middle of the vehicle, thus obstructing both carriageways. Cue usual cries of "The A34 needs to be fixed!" - it was on one of the straightest bits of the damn thing! My bet is that the driver dozed off and just ran up the barrier that way.

19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thinking of 'that' place-name, there's a village which presumably some of its newer residents wish that it was incorporated into Stud Green, as someone has recently removed its signage ... Touchen End
    Its postcode, SL6 3JZ is also somewhat ironic if you have a warped sense of humour!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  20. gray1720

I like that, but I don't get the postcode reference - unless its a gag about Slough or The Office?