1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Back Pack Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Zachary O'Neill, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Zachary O'Neill

Zachary O'Neill New Member

I am studying photography at college and am in need of suggestions of a bag that will comfortably hold my dslr, slr, and 4 lenses, along with all of my books computer, and still have some free space for other items such as a rain jacket.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it is basically "going to work" I'd look at a wheeled briefcase for the books and computer and a camera shoulder bag with rear pocket that can slot over the handle. Then you don't have the weight to lug around and, when you need more mobility, for stairs etc, they split into a bag in each hand, or over each shoulder for balance.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

4. steveandthedogs

Thinking again, why do you need a dslr and slr? How about cutting down on the kit? Say a dslr and small to medium zoom and something like a fixed lens rangefinder or even something like a viewfinder type - a little old folder like a Vito I or II. That will make your stuff much more portable and make you think more about your shots with only a fixed lens. With a small fixed-lens you can fit it in your pocket, easier and quicker to get at.

S

5. Zachary O'Neill

Zachary O'Neill New Member

I am told I need to bring my dslr with my wide and telephoto lenses , and my slr with both of its lenses, all on a daily basis. I do have fixed lens rangefinders , but they insist on an slr at the college

6. steveandthedogs

Ouch! Not to carry both all the time, though, surely?

Just out of interest, what are the d/slr's you have?

S

7. steveandthedogs

And you do realise that Adrian will force you to post stuff in the Relic Challenge, don't you?

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

9. PeteRob

Indeed, that's why I suggested a wheeled option.

10. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

I would definitely be more inclined toward the generic backpack rather than photographic one, or even a standard wheelie case with padding inserts, so as not to draw attention to what might be in the bag/case.
    I suspect once you are further into the course, in a few weeks, you will discover that you don't need all of the kit all of the time, so might be worth trying to speak to someone who did the course last year to check

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have an HP wheelie backpack, which is my standard carry-on luggage for travelling. It takes a 17" laptop, Sony a850 + grip, with 24-70, 17-35 and 50mm lenses. It also takes my sponge bag, a full change of clothes (except jacket), a 10" tablet, large headphones and at least two 'airport books'.

It was far from cheap, but the ability to sling it from one shoulder, carry it as a proper backpack or drag it as a wheelie bag easily outweighed the cost. I suggest you look around for something similar.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Jeeze that's expecting a lot for you to carry in every day. I would really be surprised if you use it all on a day to day basis. Certainly when I went to college, the days we were shooting with film were 'film only' days...followed shortly thereafter by days in the darkroom bodging our prints with no time to shoot anything at all. The college also had cameras we could borrow if absolutely necessary.

I'm not convinced there will be a good, usable bag that does everything you want without you basically having to cart in a suitcase. If all the students are carting in suitcases I hope they have big enough facilities for you all!

I used a Manfrotto bag for four years of art school. (This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Advanced-Active-Camera-Backpack/dp/B00FM2R50Y) On a daily basis it held my laptop and charger, phone, 5DMkIII with a zoom lens attached, spare batteries and memory cards and some filters, books and notepads, lunch box and sundry other guff. I could probably have reduced the amount of guff and squeezed in another body/lens but probably not four lenses. I never. Ever needed four lenses in the one day anyway.

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I can recommend that backpack as well - it's my daily 'carrying stuff around' bag. I've managed to fit a Nikon D810 with battery grip, 50mm, 70-200mm and 14-24mm lenses, laptop, 35mm film rangefinder camera and lens, tobacco tin, medicine, spare SD cards, penknife, lighter petrol, spare flints and a Kindle e-reader into the bag without too much difficulty.

Mind you, I couldn't pick it up once it was full.

Cheers, Jeff

Lindsay Pennell and Geren like this.
  14. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

I've got a similar one now, only different in that it loads from the back rather than front, if you see what I mean. Cost me £120 though...

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Would you want to be wheeling a camera bag round college either though?

16. PeteRob

I suggested 2 bags. A briefcase on wheels for the books/laptop and a camera bag that could sit on top or be carried separately. I use LowePro Nova bags and if I am travelling they sit on top of my wheeled overnight case. I have a wheeled briefcase for hand-baggage-only business travel and a Nova would sit on that easily.