1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Nikon FM with Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by PeteE, Jun 18, 2021.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

A 'Gift' from a 90 year-old Camera Club Member who is having a 'Clear-out' Prior to moving.
    The NIKON FM is one of a series of that period including the FE, FM2 etc mine is the 'Black Paint' version and I repaired the 'Brassing' on body due to Professional use and renewed the light seal foam in camera back.
    Manual Exposure only with RED LED's on right of viewfinder -- when more than one is shown turn aperture ring until only one is shown opposite the selected shutter speed . Metal Vertical Running Shutter 1-1/1000th with 'B' , maximum flash synch at 1/125th. Delayed action puts mirror up first to prevent vibration. There is a Double Exposure button next to lever wind, which acts as battery -off when pushed in flush. you have to have wind lever out to fire shutter. ASA range 12-3200. There is a 'Depth of Field' Preview lever on lens mount which is the NIKON bayonet AI with small button for 'Stop-Down' metering. which dis-engages the auto-aperture lever. There is a PC plug + Hot Shoe on top. The LENS shown is the 'Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8 which focuses down to 0.25 meter same-size reproduction. Sharp at 'Medium Distance ' as well as 'Macro'
    Nikon FM with Micro-Nikkor.JPG FM Macro Test 03.jpg FM Macro Test 04.jpg

beatnik69 likes this.
  2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A fine camera. Mine is the chromed version and I used it for many years though I don't think it's been out and about since I effectively went digital 15+ years ago. I probably ought to give it a once over... I've got a 55mm macro too but the older pre-AI f3.5 version - that's very sharp too.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The FM is obviously a VERY close cousin t my Nikkormat EL! And your 55mm is much less battered than mine, which I've dismantled and re-lubed twice now. I guess that's what happens when you get lenses from a Path lab...