1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B********** 21 Century

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Apparently on July 20, 1969 we landed Man on the Moon with less than 1k of computer memory

One lighting strike and I am without TV for 36 B********* hours

I am having to tether my phone/PC (hotspot) to get Internet access but I have to live without TV for another day

My autistic son who's whole life is his computer has just learned that there is a back garden to the house after three years :) :) :)

ascu75 and AndyTake2 like this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Given the quality and freshness of most current TV programming I could quite happily live without it for a lot longer than 36 hours. The internet I use a fair amount, that would be a much greater inconvenience. We have become very dependent on technology, fine when everything works as intended, when it doesn't great disruption occurs as there doesn't in many cases appear to be the resources to repair it quickly.

Zou likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

TV what's TV? We turn ours on about two or three times a year, we don't watch much and even the radio gets little use at the moment.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Is that You, the Wife, and the 15 children.... :):)
    You only have to read the massive disruption when Faceb**k goes down for 10 minutes....

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's daughter is autistic and she loves the garden, not only does she have her own allotment (at the end of the garden) but she studies all the wildlife (plants and animals) that is there as well. She could give Monty Don a good run for his money. :D

Just think what the current situation would be like if not for the internet! Lockdown without the internet, mobile communications and the ability to video chat to family* would be a lot worse

* although I could quite easily do without the video chatting to family!

Benchista likes this.
  6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Last TV I watched was New year's eve 2014, so got rid of mine after a couple of years non use.

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Did you get pestered by the TV Licencing Stasi? They find it very difficult to believe that some folk don't have a TV.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No kids! We have a life instead of watching TV.

9. Stephen Rundle

Remember there are many single, lonely, elderly, and "others"!! who rely on it to pass the time like me

BUT

In just four hours I have replaced the kitchen tiles, 20 of them
    Removed the rear decals from the car ready for selling it
    Replaced the rear windscreen wiper and motor removed to do a large sticker on the back window
    Done all the Housework
    AND got a new hedge trimmer and cut the hedge beat that :) :)

Now I am bored again ;)

Oh and done my sons breakfast

Image1.jpg IMG_20200811_114111821.jpg IMG_20200808_101246670.jpg IMG_20200808_101214362.jpg

ascu75 likes this.
  10. Stephen Rundle

Well I have an Autistic son and as I said above "Remember there are many single, lonely, elderly, and "others"!! who rely on it to pass the time like me"

11. Stephen Rundle

I must admit all I watch is the CNN news and BBC news in the morning and evening and mid day but you do miss it

When you say you miss the TV I wonder why it is assumed you have no life

I have a local Facebook newspaper with 2000+ watchers, I run the Carmarthen Autism Group Facebook page, Look after my Autistic son and some say "they have a life" :) :) :) assuming others do not yet they are posting here all times of the day meaning they ..................................

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No need to justify why you watch TV. Just because someone is proud to say they don't have a TV, blah, blah, blah doesn't mean that we shouldn't.
    There must be or needs to be a word for the feeling of superiority one must get when they tell someone they don't have a TV at every single opportunity. I have looked on Urban Dictionary but couldn't find one.

beatnik69 likes this.
  13. Stephen Rundle

You always know the right thing to say and how to say the right thing :)

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As I said, no kids. I am sure it would be different if we had them but as it is we have plenty of things to do instead of watching TV. Not suggesting that you don't have a life, clearly you do, in fact you seem to be considerably more active than I am in many respects. I am also aware that there are many people whose only contact is the TV. However, TV is a habit that can be broken, as is the internet.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

After my dad died, my mum found she couldn't watch the things they watched together. And she didn't like anything else on, so has stopped watching completely.

However, she's all over Facebook, news reports and so on on her laptop or tablet. She would struggle awfully without the internet.

16. Stephen Rundle

Now I have a serious problem

It is NOT the internet as it is working, ?????????????????????

The computers are fine ????????????

BUT, the TV is working, just that the BT box can not find the BT router, this is a bummer :cool::cool::cool:

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not got one of those but could you turn everything internet connected off and do a systematic reboot? Turn off modem and router if separate then Turn it back on, then each of your items. It may find it again.

my printer lost connection to my network today, couldn’t find any connection. Did as above and all is well.

18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I a frustrated that our internet seems to have decided on a go slow. Something I haven’t encountered for years. It tooK abouT ten attempts at logging on here and now after another reboot of the router it’s all singing and dancing again. I don’t like the word hate but at times Icould with technology :mad:

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  19. Stephen Rundle

Yes you were right, started from scratch and re connected re booted :)