Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Aug 1, 2008.
If only that were true. They don;t use the real stuff any more.
And owners of ukeleles!
Have to admit I forgot this month so nothing spontaneous, but in defence, I was on holiday Fortunately I had been taking pics - so many that the camera's battery died so by the time I got to Porth Ysgo on my evening walk I was reduced to the trusty mobile phone.
I'm very pleased with the results. The shutter delay is a whopping 2 seconds so timing the wave breaking over the rock took several tries. I've adjusted levels and dodged/burned some detail in and (over )sharpened it in PS
The picture thread for this month is now closed. Late-comers can pm me for the thread to be re-opened. My thanks as always to everyone who participated.
Open again, so post your late FirstView images if you've got them. I'll leave it open at least until this evening.
This is the advice given on safely dealing with a broken low energy bulb:
Open all windows and air the room for 15 minutes.
Wearing a face mask ans disposable rubber gloves pick up the broken glass and seal it into a polythene bag with sticky tspe.
Do not vacuum the residue or you will contaminate your cleaner and spread mercury all oer the house.
Clear up the reidue with a dust pan and brush and add this to a plastic bag, then seal it.
Keep the dustpan and brush for the next broken bulb, as it too is contaminated.
Seal up in a plastic bag the gloves and face mask, then take everything including the broken bulb base to a local waste disposal site for treatment.
Can you imagine some elderly or infirm person doing all this? The mind boggles.
When I began work, hundreds of years ago, I worked in a steel wire and rope factory and tensile testing was part of my job.
Boy does that shot bring back some memories.
Re: Tensile Testing
MUCH more impressive on failure than wussy bits of plastic I bet...
Re: Tensile Testing
The little red number for the above post won't go away so I thought I'd try to kill it by replying.
An elderley or infirm person need not do all that. They will die long before they go as mad as a hatter from mercury poisoning. Just be careful with inherited vacuum cleaners which have previously been used for 'oovering up mercury.
I notice now that schools are not allowed to use mercury. There are tons of the stuff still in the cracks between the physics and chemistry lab floor boards, but nobody cares about that. How do I know that? I taught physics and filled barometer tubes with mercury, and spilt some. Children broke thermometers and chased balls of mercury round the bench until they fell to the floor. The balls of mercury fell, not the children.
Well, not immediately, anyway. Probably most of the more seriously contaminated ones became MPs, or management consultants - the sort of jobs where permanent brain damage resulting in becoming mad as a hatter is actually a positive advantage, if not an absolute prerequisite.
Ah.............mercury football.......... brings back memories that does.......
Separate names with a comma.