1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August, 2008 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Aug 1, 2008.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments arising from the August 2008 picture thread.

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Fabs' washing machine...

... looks like the same make and model as mine. I'll be interested to find out if you discover the same 'undocumented feature' that I did, or if it's only my machine that has it. If you can't get it to work, pm me and I'll tell you about it. :)

3. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Re: Fabs' washing machine...

Them energy saving ones are pretty dire, I never find them as bright as the old kind, and they take ages to warm up. Apparently they have mercury in them too. So it's ok to stick heavy metals in light bulbs but it has to be withdrawn from batteries rendering lots of nice old photo gear more or less useless. :mad:

4. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

Candles are best - instant light and very reliable. If we can only harness body fat harvested from liposuction clinics instead of petroleum it will even be green.

Like the drama of the kitchen sink shot - ha! Just goes to show a nice birra light and anything looks good.

5. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Energy saving bulbs have their problems, but we have never had any fail yet. What are you doing to them Huw?

On the subject of pondweed, a lady was describing on the radio how she fell into her pond wearing a towelling dressing gown. She said the pond weed clung to it when she climbed out and it was the most effective clearer of the weed that she had ever come across. No guarantee from me - try it at your own risk . . . :)

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, nothing! I mean, they just sit on the shelf until they're needed, then I get them out of the box, insert into lamp-holder as with any tungsten bulb (except I grip them by the solid base structure, rather than by the tubes), then switch on, and they're already dead. I reckon I've had something like 10-20% fail like that - dead on first use. The ones that don't fail are great - except for the one which failed after a normal long life, but in such a way as to fuse the lighting circuits for the entire house. That was annoying, but an isolated incident.

Re. the mercury thing someone mentioned, yes - there is mercury vapour (or some mercury compound maybe) in the tubes. This does mean you have to dispose of them carefully, and if a tube breaks I think you're supposed to air the room for about 15 minutes before going back in. I've never actually had one break though, so I guess it's not that difficult to avoid.

As to whether the net impact on the environment is better or worse than with tungsten bulbs I really couldn't say - I'd find it hard to believe that the manufacturing process isn't a great deal worse with the energy saving ones, but mostly we just have to take these things on trust. I'm not at all sure I do trust those who dictate these things in the corridors of Brussels or Strasbourg, or wherever it is, but at least the energy-saving bulbs cut my electricity bills somewhat.

7. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve had dead lamps too Huw.I emailed Philips and they sent a parcel of new ones FOC.If you don`t ask you don`t get.Cheers Dave ;) :D

8. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Re: TFC Cake Cake .......

Wow colourful, what is it 'Hoobs' flavour :)

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

It is a bit colourful, isn't it. :eek:

Her indoors does them for the nipper (at least that's the excuse for the Dulux explosion effect). There's only one problem with her cakes; they taste too good... :)

10. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

My local station - Honor Oak Park.

That's one of those stations where you find yourself seriously considering the possibility that the train you mistakenly got off might have been the last one ever to run on that line.

Hanwell I think used be the least painted station I'd ever seen. I think they did it up recently - prior to that it looked like something out of the Wild West with peeling paint and tumble weeds rolling down the platform.

11. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Mick's pond

Apparently barley straw is good for de-greening a pond.

Incidently I once had an energy saving lightbulb break on me, I screwed it in, switched it on and it shattered, leaving the holder still in the socket. Didn't know you were suppsoed to air the room though.

12. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Re: Mick's pond

Yep, works a treat, did mine this year.

13. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Our little one is helps to make the cakes now, but she loves to add the green or black food colour.

Then she only eats the icing!

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Ooo. Im amazed at the number of fruit and plants this month! And cats...

15. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Well at least it's either the Picture or Harvey my cat, so decide it's my picture instead..

:rolleyes:

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I sometimes think most internet photography forums would barely survive without cats! ;-)

17. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I sometimes think I wouldn't survive without cats. :D

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Rabbit tastes very similar if you can't get cat.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Less stringy as well.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

However, less useful by-products for violin owners.