1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Attempting 3-D

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Fogey, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Fogey

Fogey Member

I have been experimenting with the Brenizer effect to achieve a 3-D feel to the image.

a dog walk2.jpg

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'll look that up later - not sure how well it's worked without knowing what iit does but, apart from the dog walkers, it could almost be a painting by Constable.
    (looking at it on the TV because my screen is rubber-ducked doesn't help either)

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

New one on me, until I looked it up. Interesting. Goes some way to explain why a 6x6 viewfinder (largest I have used) is so 3D in appearance compared to 35 mm. There has been a similar picture posted here somewhere in the last couple of months - also with the 3D tag but lacking the Brenizer appellation if I remember correctly. I’ve always favoured 6x6 over 35 mm for landscapes, maybe this is part of the explanation. I’d kinda convinced myself that format (APS-C, 135, 120) shouldn’t matter whilst holding to the idea that one day I’d like to get a medium format digital camera.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Interesting effect. I haven't heard of it before so I'm off for a read.

5. Fogey

Fogey Member

I found a tripod and a large degree of concentration essential when taking this image.

6. Fogey

Fogey Member

Brenizer is an American wedding photographer and he thought up this idea of getting a medium frame format with a 35mm camera.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes. It says that you get a more 3D effect using a lens on large format than using a shorter focal length lens on a smaller format to capture the same field of view. To recapture this do a composite to achieve the field of view using the longer lens on the small format. Most noticeable at larger apertures. Must be related to apparent depth of field - so presumably you’d get a similar result using wider apertures on the smaller format while choosing focal length to preserve field of view. Probably restricted to landscape subject matter where the interest lies in a plane and you want layered focus.