1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assembling a darkroom

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Leonila, Jan 15, 2015.

1. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

When Multigrade first came out in the seventies (I think it may have been older than that, but that's roughly when I encountered it for the first time), there were two filter kits available. One that went above the lens, in the neg carrier, and for older enlargers, there was a below the lens kit. This was a holder with a circular aperture above a filter rest, and with three screws in the same plane, which held the filter mount on to the enlarging lens itself. In theory this would have resulted in some image degradation, compared with the above the lens kit, but in practice, I never noticed any. I'd an old Gnome Beta II enlarger, with a Nikon EL lens on it, and it worked a treat.

I still have it, along with the full set of filters, read for the day when the darkroom is back in service.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Re: Assembling a darkroom: exposure meters and timers

Hi taxor, Yep, that's certainly one. Think they did other, simple devices, as well as 'Nocon' copy. Thing I like about the 2050 Patersons is that you can link your print processing in with 'beep' prompts. This is really helpful for, say, producing a run of consistent prints of the same subject. Cheers, Oly

3. 0lybacker

Sure, Senator! It allows you to easily straighten crooked subjects & clone in some background, etc. And the preview facility can help you re-take a straight version of the wonky-shot and delete the unwanted one immediately afterwards. Digital has its plusses! ;):D Cheers, Oly

PS: If that is your good self above, I bet the family really treasure that one. See - left to digital, you might not exist. Film has its plusses, too. :D

4. Jesus

Jesus New Member

Hi Leonila.
    I am sorry not to have responded sooner, and do hope you see this.
    Film photography is seductive and obsessive. Once hooked you won't be able to go back.

If you really want to learn, come join us over on FADU
    ( http://www.fadu.co.uk )

It's all about film and darkroom. We would love to have you company, and offer print exchanges wherein we trade real photographs.

Sadly, this forum is not now for film shooters, with all due respect to the one and only Roger Hicks.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't know how you work that one out. There are quite a few film users still left on the forum. Have a look at the Relic Challenge for a start.

S

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Says you after contributing one post.... Come on tell us what we need to know:D

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Assembling a darkroom ( Film Shooters ! )

Here Here ! I am a FILLUM Shooter and am on www.fadu.org.uk as well and have been doing darkroom enlarging since East Ham Grammar School Photo-Soc. when they paid out for a British-Made 'Gnome' enlarger with a lens with only two stops f11 and f16 so it was DIM -- BUT I still have my FIRST ENLARGEMENT a Half Plate size print of my Mum in the garden taken on ex-RAF WWII film at 6 'old Pence' a roll from Marston & Heards Leytonstone where the ancient owner used to blow the dust off all manner of wonderful WWII surplus papers, films and chemicals ! I took the print home to show my Mum wet between two sheets of school Graph Paper and it still has the 'Green Lines' on it -- she died in 1989 aged 89 . I now have three enlargers, ONE 'bought' an LPL C7700 Pro with colour head, a free Durst M601 and a free Durst M305 with colour head frm a Camera Club member with lots of dishes, safelight, voltage regulator ( very useful for when I do my RA4 colour prints) timer that I never use having been taught at School Photo- Soc -- " 1 -a - Second, 2-a Second, 3 -a Second etc " and I can dodge B&W and colour while counting easily!

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Forgive my cynicsm but why do the words "sock" and "puppet" come to mind???? This was shot on film, by the way...

[​IMG]

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, I think we ardent film shooters (and black and white printers) are well and truly having a chains yanked!

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've also had the impression that in the last few months the mag has a little more coverage of film related stuff than there was in the previous year or two.

Still, I'm sure FADU have some interesting and wothwhile stuff, and I'll probably have a looksee over there when I've got a moment... despite the somewhat rude invitation.

12. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

FADU is a good resource but I think APUG has a broader experience base. Just my own 10 pence worth.

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Assembling a darkroom ( FADU and APUG)

I belong to both FADU and APUG but APUG is mostly American members but I have got valuable info from both even after doing photography since 1951 !

14. 0lybacker

Hi Alex, Most makers, Ilford especially, dropped the faster (harder) grades some while back. Think it may take a bit more silver to get the speed up on grade 4 & 5. Despite the fact they charge us for the (silver) stuff at the highest prices, I guess it doesn't mean they actually want to put it in ... :p Cheers, Oly

15. toxo

toxo Member

When designing your darkroom, make sure you position your enlarger on the end of the bench adjacent to a wall. If, like me you become fascinated with large prints you can turn the enlarger on it's side and expose on the wall. Because of the cost of chemicals my limit was 16x20 trays but that didn't stop me from using two overlapping sheets of 16x20 (means two exposures) and then joining them with a random cut and touch up between the two to produce a 20x32 photo. No-one ever knew they were in two parts.
    Getting back to the cost, back in the day there was something called photographic linen. Never did get around to trying it but theoretically you could expose a 6ftx6ft sheet and then fold up and process in a bucket.

Here's a couple of links to whet your appetite;

http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-printing-finishing-forum/0092h5

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...EwAzgU#v=onepage&q=photographic linen&f=false