1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashamed to admit I've.....

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say I loathe and detest back button focus, and get on perfectly well without it. As with everything in photography, there's no one way of doing things, and it's great to have the option, but thank goodness it's not compulsory.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it much depends on the application. I mostly use it when taking pictures of birds, usually in reeds where focus can easily jump to the surrounding vegetation when the wind blows. It is also much easier to use with a telephoto that has AF on (or off) buttons.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

But you are using the 7dii aren’t you? Isn’t that supposed to have amazing AF tracking. But the 7dc isn’t anywhere near as accurate hence why I have to stay with centre AF.unless I want a CF card full of arty soft focus soccer shots ;)

I know I won’t be content until I have either the 5Div or the 90d ... I think I’ll want both.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say I do use it for that sort of thing, but I don't do a massive amount of wildlife shooting, maybe a couple of times a year. For sports, I much prefer the normal way of shooting. But that's just me; I'm not saying I'm right, merely that it doesn't work well for everyone..

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Thank god for that! I was keeping my head below the parapet for fear of being called a Luddite or some such. I have tried many times to get on with it, but couldn't see the point, and have now mapped the button back to MF/AF. If I want to have different points for exposure and focus, I set the exposure first and toggle the AEL button, then refocus and reframe.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm another disliker of BBF. You're not alone.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My first AF camera was a Nikon F4, there was no "back button focusing" in fact there were few buttons on the back of the F4. I used a pair of F4s bodies from 1990 until 1996 when I switched to a pair of F5 bodies which I still have. Having once mastered the F4's AF using the shutter button I never bothered to change. I can see that using a separate control for focusing may well be appropriate in some circumstances but I generally manage well with the shutter button.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

As I said before, I'm a firm proponent of BBF - in fact, I actively dislike using a camera which isn't set up for it.

Fortunately, since almost every modern camera can be set up in either mode, we're all catered for - so we can all be happy! :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly the ability to tweak the focus settings by case means that I can set the focus up in such a way that it ignores things that temporarily intrude into the focus area on both the 5D IV and 7D II, but even when I had the original 7D I never liked BBF. It just intrudes into my way of working and switches my attention from what I'm trying to capture to the way I'm trying to capture it, which inevitably leads to worse action pictures for me. I need to be able to control my camera instinctively to get best results. I thought it would improve as I got used to it, but I never did, so decided not to waste any more time on it. Different strokes, as they say, clearly it works the other way round for many people.