1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Ashamed to admit I've.....

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Nov 17, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

…….I've only just discovered Back Button Focusing !!
    How on earth did I miss that.
    When I think back to the awful compositions of all the shots I've taken because of my reluctance to move away from centre AF point, which then leads to severe cropping later to get the composition I initially wanted or worse incorrect exposure.

I used it yesterday for the first time...WOW !!

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

On the 70d?

3. pixelpuffin

Ah, funny you mention that... I took my 7d and 70d to a floodlit match last night...Oh lord!! 7d was 1/500 wide open using Auto ISO - the camera selected 6400!!...I'm sat at the computer right now editing the images...noisy!! The 70d was set up identical but fitted with the 135mm f2 used wide open, the camera chose 1/800 F2 @ISO 800. I had both cameras on each shoulder, when the action got close I switched to the 70d...however, the viewed image in the viewfinder was just awful compared to the crystal bright image in the 7d...and that was using the slower 70-300L lens!!
    After 15mins I gave up on the 70d, I just couldn't adjust with the differing viewfinder images. I assumed they would be pretty much identical, if anything the 70d with the fast F2 prime should have been magnificent...alas not.

Is there a possible fix to the noisy high iso, I haven't used noise reduction as I just assumed that would degrade my jpegs even further. besides the noise, the 7d kept track of the players relentlessly, it was so dark before the floodlight finally switched on.
    As I say the images are sharp but very VERY noisy.

A pity as one image of my son jumping after scoring is fab, but spoiled by noise.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Can I suggest you put a limit on auto iso to say 3200 or 1600. For any decent noise reduction I shoot in raw and process with the original Nik collection.

Surprised the 70D was so bad. Have you tried switching lenses between the two cameras?

5. pixelpuffin

The 70d is pretty amazing really, its ahead of the 7d in so many areas. But the viewfinder was a major issue last night. I need to work with it in better conditions before I dismiss it. I was rushed last night so couldn't compose myself.
    As for limiting ISO, How can I do that when I'm stuck with F5.6 max aperture @300m and I need as high a shutter speed as possible to freeze the action. I seemed to have just got away with 1/500 last night, To drop 2 stops to 1/125 would not stop the action.
    But I've got the 200mm f2.8 prime.
    I may try a twin camera set up using the 135mm f2 on my 5dii and the 200/2.8 on crop. If I knew that combo would work under floodlit pitches I'll be happy.
    Last night was one off, normally all games are played at 10am, but due to all the rain, so many matches have been cancelled they resorted to playing last night to ease the backlog.
    Somebody at work is loaning me his dads 6d, I want to see how that performs with the 70-300mm using centre AF spot. I got away with using the original 5d for a year or so with the old 100-300usm, not a problem, nice sharp and contrasty, so I'm guessing the 6d wont be any worse?

6. Bazarchie

ISO 6400 is too high, reduce the speed.

The 6D is in a different league to the 5D. Much better in low light.

7. pixelpuffin

Not quite sure how I reduce the speed, freeze the action and reduce the iso?

I'm sure the 6D is better than the 5Dc, Just wondered how it compares with my 5Dii.
    The camera in question has laid dormant in his dads wardrobe for the past 3yrs! He's asked me if I'll rattle some shots through it to ensure it still works.. ;) playtime. I've already made him aware the shutter count will go up by over a thousand tho'

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that you've missed it, @pixelpuffin - there have been a number of threads on here, in which back button focus has been discussed, at length. As you might expect, it doesn't suit everyone. ;)

I've used it for years, and I find it so natural, that I now really dislike using a camera set up with the 'normal' setting of focus on the shutter button. o_O

9. Bazarchie

The 6D is well known for its low light performance, supposedly better than the 5Dii and the 5Diii. If you cannot get lower than 6400 then you need a slower speed or a faster leans.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A 300 F2.8 would help!

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

On some cameras you can instigate a different type of 'back button focus' depending on which back, or indeed front function button that you press. The Nikon D500 allows this and little doubt the D5 and D850 also do so.

12. Learning

Nikon used to make a 300mm f2.0 Sadly this was not in any way AF or VR. I suppose that remaining lenses of this type are collectors items.
    Jeffrey Friedel has some good pictures taken with this wonderful lens on his blog http://regex.info/blog/ You would need to look back a few years to find them. Regex refers to his professional expertise in the field of regular expressions but don't let that put you off.

13. PeteRob

I can't begin to think how big a 300 F2 might be. I have a Canon 300 F4 (bought with a x1.4) which is very good but AF performance with the 400 F5.6 is better than the combination, although without IS. I've been tempted by the occasional 300 F.8 mk ii that crops up s/h but I don't use that focal length enough to justify the purchase.

14. PeteRob

Yes, it is useful. Main thing is not to forget you activated it. Can cause a lot of worry when "normal" AF stops working.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

When I bought my second hand 6D, I had 2 minutes of panic when first using it because it didn't seem to focus ...

16. pixelpuffin

Oh my...
    The 6D is something, is it not.
    Only had it a few hours...I’m smitten already

Don’t want to hand it back - lol

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't like the shot rate, or the limited focus points, and when I pick it up after using my 7d2 for ages I always feel like it's a step back - and then I see the shots and I forgive it all over again.

18. pixelpuffin

I know what you mean, the AF points does seem to attract a lot of criticism as does the FPS
    But I’m still using centre spot and single shot mode...still rack up over a thousand shots tho each match

I’ll be completely honest , during the past week I’ve been on a rollercoaster of emotions about dslrs - sad fact is I’ve given more thought to the camera than the actual images I want to take
    Only last night I pondered, repeat pondered selling all 7 dslrs and buying the 5Div and 90d!!
    Insane. Luckily I came to my senses much to my partners relief.

First impression of the 6D is the lightweight and simplicity I bet it goes well with a 70d

When the weather turns a little drier I’ll try the 6D with the 70-300L and the 70d with the 17-40L at pitch side. If I position myself a third of the way rather than at the corner the 70-300 should sweep the pitch on the 6D

well that’s the plan...

19. Learning

The simple answer to that problem is to always use it, even when it is not needed.

peterba likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I switched because I was tired of accidentally taking a shot when all I'd wanted to do was focus. As my eyesight deteriorate I find I'm relying on it more and more.

peterba likes this.