1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arria

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by mcgoo, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

This is a picture of Arria, a 33ft high statue overlooking the M80 between Glasgow and Stirling at Cumbernauld. I wanted to capture her looking over the blocks of flats on the other side of the road and used some PP to add the shallow DOF and to increase the vibrance of the colours. It works well in mono but I think I prefer this one. Would welcome any feedback. Thanks....

[​IMG]

Mick

2. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Tough one for me. It asks for something under her arms but not sure if the blocks of flats are the right elements. Also vignette is a bit too dominant for me and overall it's a bit too dark.

3. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

The immediate problem to my view is the shadows, it's a dark image and everything is not so much moody as simply very dark. I can see your dilemma though, you have a dark foreground subject against a dark background. The vignette looks very false and dominates too much, spoiling the image a little bit. Might be worth a visit back, assuming you can of course, to catch the statue or the background in early morning or late evening orange light, then you might be able to better offset the statue against the background.

4. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to get something that looked a little more surreal than the hundreds of other pictures people have taken of Arria. I agree the vignette is too false looking and picture overall is dark. I will go back and shoot her again as she is just a 10 minute walk from my house.

Thanks
    Mick