1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Only joking , Jack . :)

I already have a box of 10X8 X-Ray film , but I can't remember what country I got it from , I was a few years ago . :confused:

I've just got to cut a piece of plywood to fit my 10x8 back to this camera , so I'll shoot a few sheets and check for fogging ( and skulls !) Before I order the 10x12 up .

I know a lot of people in the states that shoot ULF use X-Ray film and I assume most is transported from one end if their country to another by plane , so I didn't think it would be a problem .

Maybe theirs a warning on the box or a system set up for transporting it ? Probably not !

Maybe I'll get lucky .

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I kind of suspected that you were, Neil, but, one can never be sure ;) Hopefully, it all arrives safe, sound and skull/fogging free :)

Is it too late to check to see if the packages are x-rayed? Also, does X-ray film have an ASA and, hopefully, it's low which
    should make it less susceptible to fogging.

Cheers and fingers crossed :)

Jack

neilt3 likes this.
  3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

To be honest , it never occurred to me that items being delivered passed threw X-Ray machines at airports .

I haven't ordered any film yet as I want to do the modifications to it , as well as seeing if I can rejuvenate the bellows , before I take some test shots with it .
    I'll be using darkroom paper for the first ones , and then both regular film ( Fomapan 200 ) and the X-Ray film I already have in 10x8 size , with a step down back .

If they come out fine ( i.e , the camera works as intended ) then I will look at getting the X-ray film in 10x12 .

One main difference I know between the films is that the high-speed blue is about 200 ISO while the ortho green is 50 ISO. It's the green film I'll be getting , so that should help .
    I've asked on the Large Format photography forum if anyone's had any problems with it imported into Europe or elsewhere , or if I can buy it more locally .

I think exposing and developing what I already have should answer it one way or another !
    I can also email the supplier and ask how they go on exporting it and if anyone's had problems with x-ray machines .

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  4. Done_rundleCams

Sounds like you've got everything under control, Neil, and looking forward to seeing some of the
    results :).

As well, I shouldn't really be the person questioning other people's habits, especially when I get results
    like this :eek:

July3-21-AP-Fri-000013 copy 2.jpeg July3-21-AP-Fri-000014 copy.jpeg July3-21-AP-Fri-000023 copy.jpeg

Cheers,

Jack

ptermx, Zou and neilt3 like this.
  5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Oh , you've bought from the Lomography store too ! :D

What was it , camera or film ? :p

ptermx, Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

User? :rolleyes::D

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

IIRC it was an open and shut case. :)

Zou likes this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

Nope, Neil, Keith has nailed it, exactly :eek: ........ :D

Cheers,

Jack

9. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But the Lomo quip was funnier.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've sometimes wondered about the Lomo phenomenon but then I remember the kids who ended up at art college... :p

11. Done_rundleCams

Twas, indeed, Peter ;)

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

:

:D :D :D ........ true enough, Andrew ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.