1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

What are these 6x12 you refer too ? centimetres or inches ? ;)

I've just bought a "new" camera , I need to alter a few things on it and soften up ( or replace ) the bellows and make a new focus screen , but it's a 12"x10" camera .
    The film holder holds just two sheets of film !
    Ten shots per roll ? Luxury !
    51310482629_28e8908cb7_c.jpg

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ooooh, what a beast! Lovely. :)

I really want a 8x10 but as soon as I start adding up costs it gets further and further away. :(

neilt3 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You must excuse me, I've got some plates to coat.

Zou and Laurence Cochrane like this.
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

@neilt3 , excuse me while I collapse into a dribbling heap!

neilt3 likes this.
  5. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

AHHHH But I am a POOR old man on dissability.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  6. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Ultra large format seems to be popular in the States or that is the impression I get from Large Format Forum, personally I struggled to find a use for 5x4 mono rail after leaving collage though I still lust after a folding 5x4 MPP or a Speed Graphic, not sure what I would use it for.

neilt3 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Two primary uses, one being photography, the other triggering gear envy by posting pictures of it on fora such as these. :)

neilt3, zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yowza :eek: Neil, it begs the question ... how much the film cost and do you use the sunny 16 rule for exposure? ;)

Cheers,

Jack

neilt3 likes this.
  9. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

:) Not so much cost but when you order a box of film and Ilford tell you they are planning to cut some that size in eighteen months. ;)

10. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

So a status symbol among the like minded, the thread has it's answer.

neilt3 likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not so much status symbol as icon. Object of attention and respect embodying the best of the art. ;)

neilt3 and zx9r like this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My Dad had a Zeiss Icon that he was very proud of.

neilt3, zx9r and Zou like this.
  13. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Lovely. I'm thinking about trying to build one of these to hide a DSLR inside for some of the shoots I do!

neilt3 likes this.
  14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I used both monorail and folding 5x4 extensively through my city & guilds and HND course.
    Ah yes, the scheimpflug principle…..
    Happy memories with the Brom meter too!

Back then the 5x4 negs were printed using the De Vere 504

After leaving college I did consider buying a 5x4 plus a De Vere 504 but the running costs put me off. Was too much for just a hobby.

neilt3 and zx9r like this.
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I've got an assortment of 5x4 and 7x5 cameras ( and a good selection of lenses , some old , some very old , and some very very old brass barrel lenses !) , I also wanted a 10x8 camera but can't really justify the cost of buying one .
    A new one from Intrepid is only £500 , higher quality ones are usually a couple of thousand , used .
    I decided to build a step up back for one of my 7x5 cameras and bought a replacement full back from Intrepid for about £125 .
    I've not got around to building it yet , but won the bidding for this at £45 , So I just need to cut one piece of wood to have this camera hold the 10x8 back and alter the lens board to convert it to my current set-up .
    For the 10x12 back I intend doing a mixture of paper negatives ( standard darkroom paper ) which I have lots of already that didn't cost me anything , and X-Ray film for the more serious stuff .

I don't know , if I thy carry this up a mountain like my other gear , I think I'll be the one collapsing into a dribbling heap ! :D

My first large format camera was a Crown Graphic , followed by a Speed Graphic for using barrel lenses with .
    The Crown graphic is ideal to chuck in a backpack with a 135mm lens attached and a few DDS's .
    A friend bought me a 5x4 camera from Chroma cameras in the Wirral , so that's my main camera now , and I'm using quite a bit of sheet film .
    I have mono rail cameras as well in 5x4 and 7x5 , but don't use them so much .

For this one , shooting 10x12 , it isn't cheap .
    I'll probably use quite a bit of darkroom paper in it for pinhole photography .
    Regards to film , I'll be getting a box of X-ray film . I'm still looking for a supply in the U.K , but I can get it from the states for £40 for a box of 100 .
    But with shipping , VAT ( TAX ) and customs fee's , it'll cost me about £100 for the 100 sheets . £1 per sheet is cheap enough .
    If I was to buy Ilford film for it , it would cost nearly £300 for a box of 25 :eek: . That's way out of price range ! :p
    Exposure for the film will be worked out using my Minolta spot meter , exposure for photographic paper in it as a pinhole camera will be however long it takes me to have my dinner and a drink , and probably a nap if its a dull day and I carried more than a few hundred yards from the van !

X-Ray film is readily available , but unless I can find a source in the UK or EU , I'll have to buy it from the states at a premium and wait for delivery .
    The last time I bought some was for 10x8 , and IIRC delivery was only a couple of weeks or less .

Well , if this ones a status symbol , I must remember to to put my hat on the floor for people to throw their loose change into ! :D
    I'm not sure what a home made camera says about your status .

Make one big enough and you can climb into it if it starts raining !

The 504's a nice enlarger , I have it's predecessor , the DeVere 54 .
    A nice feature of that one is you can also fit 7x5 negatives in it in the filter holder and some anti-newton glass .

zx9r, Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  16. Done_rundleCams

I hate to ask this, Neil, but, when ordering X-Ray Film from Biddenville, are you worried X-Ray damage to your film? :eek:

Cheers and looking forward to seeing some photos :)

Jack

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

No . Not worried in the slightest .
    At least not untill you mentioned it ! You've just jinxed my delivery !
    I can see it now , 100 sheets with picture of an X-Ray operaters skull imbbeded on them ! :mad:

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wish I could lay claim to this but it comes from a book that I read decades ago...

19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

What a beast :eek::D

20. Done_rundleCams

Whoops :eek: sorry, Neil, I'm always giving the best advice, albeit after the fact :eek:. Just like back in November 2016, I advised
    the American people not too worry, there's no way Trump can get in :eek: ........

Sincerely sorry :(

Jack

neilt3 and peterba like this.