1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and another joke bites the dust... :D

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you must spill things everywhere I suppose that is appropriate

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Ooh, err missus!

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps only real men can perform the whole process in the dark, working only by touch and smell.

5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

DD952EDC-A3E4-4D51-A71A-8D1333E31DAA.jpeg 259CDC2A-C8C4-4A27-B7C1-D88BF9B09C6A.jpeg 55900287-8E2C-4E15-84A7-DDE1D43E22B9.jpeg
    Got home from work and went into the loft to find my old college work
    Bear in mind the print is almost 25yrs old. Add my scanner is naff so the result is not very good.

The project was to create a picture that could be used as a marketing ad to target those who would not normally buy.
    I decided to go for Jack Daniels whisky
    The caption was going to read “ Not Jack the Lad” but I ended up ditching the idea and just added a picture of a bottle of jack Daniels in the bottom left.
    Rollei 2.8f superia pushed 2 stops wide open. Location was a local pub. Model is my mates (pictured) girlfriend at the time

Incase it’s not obvious the woman has thrashed him at pool and he’s snapped his cue and sulked off.
    The problem was finding a cue!! I didn’t want to buy a new one so went to a 2nd hand shop cost me a fiver, walked out and snapped it over my knee. The shop owner just stared in disbelief! Lol

unbelievably I’ve just found the contact print!! Didn’t know I had that. Now I remember it better, there were 2 tables the green was near a window and was my first choice due to the light, but the shot wasn’t working. The blue was in the dark corner, but had that Tennessee vibe I was looking for.

The memories have come flooding back, happy times back then.

Edit: just found a photocopy of my original idea, but it was never printed off. Looking at it now I think it might have worked??

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  6. pixelpuffin

I found another
    Nothing special just a idea I had at the time
    My brother, Rollei 2.8f
    Can’t remember the film stock or aperture.
    A0BEC774-DE18-4EB9-A29D-BB5D24D1EA45.jpeg

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That must be why photography moved on from wet plates - too easy!

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Speaking of Jack Daniels, P_P, somewhere in my archives, I've got a snap of myself with a Jack ('s Daniels) Birthday advert near Picadilly. Somewhere between 1999 and 2001 ;)

Cheers and a cracking shot of the young lady :)

Jack

peterba likes this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

I'm gonna guess, P_P, Ilford FP4 with a 35mm (equivalent) lens and 5.6 @ 1/125 :)

Cheers,

Jack

peterba likes this.
  10. pixelpuffin

Thanks Jack
    She was lovely and really got into what I was looking for. Personally I think she really looked the part. Happy times indeed.
    Isn’t that the beauty of photography? going back in time…wonderful.

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  11. pixelpuffin

It was the Rollei 2.8F with 80mm planar
    I’ve now just remembered, this was the first roll I put through after having it serviced, and it was serviced the day after I bought it! !! and so the love affair began.
    Wonderful times Jack

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Superb! There's a subtlety in the transitions of tones and colours that I find missing in digital. I've tried many commercially available products which claim to re-create the film 'look' - but they simply don't. And having become disillusioned with those products, I put endless hours into trying to create a 'home-brew' to achieve it, using all sorts of editing software. The sad truth is that long ago I (somewhat reluctantly) reached this conclusion: if you want the film look, shoot film. :)

I've got to ask: surely you're now tempted to buy a film, or two? ;)

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  13. pixelpuffin

Thanks Pete
    Actually No, I’m confident I could recreate something similar to that with my 5diii and 50mm lens. The picture was me, and the film stock not the camera. And the frustration back then in organising that shot and not knowing if it had worked until a few days later…arrgh. Today I’d just switch to live view! I agree the engineering of old film cameras like the Rollei is almost jewel like. But that’s all we had back then. Given the choice I’d love to go back to that time in my life but with my current kit.
    Seriously, I’d wipe the board mate, it would be incredible.
    We’ve never had it so good. Digital is amazing, I’m not even the slightest bit interested in mirrorless. My full frame flappers are still pretty mind blowing.

Edit : just realised the whole shoot was just 10 frames! WOW
    I don’t know how we managed back then!

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You managed because you had little choice, unless you wanted to spend a lot of money on film and processing.
    Today you would probably shoot a few hundred frames and spend many happy hours trying to choose one to use.
    Too much choice can be a burden.

Done_rundleCams, zx9r and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Oh, well....... I've always known I'd be a useless salesman! :D

16. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

Some of us still shoot 10 frames. This thread is about FILM CAMERAS.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

10!?! Those negs are tiny, I prefer 6 at 6x12. ;)

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The real purist shoots sheet film, or plates. Obviously.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Here's a thing: I often went off to a press job and used a whole film in the Rollei. I came back, processed and contact printed the film, selected the shot I thought was a seller, and never looked at the other 11 shots again.

These days, I go out, take two or three shots and find that one is pretty much what I want. Quite often I find that the other images come in useful as well.

To me, the difference between film and digital is how little you waste with the new technology.

20. Done_rundleCams

Exactly, Chester :) , and I've been the victim of way too many digital snaps :eek: ..... ;)
    Cheers,
    Jack

peterba likes this.