1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The last time I managed to buy a 36 exposure roll of 200 ASA Kodachrome it cost me over £10, and I used to buy 12 or 15 rolls a year.
    So even 10 years at that rate wouldn't buy me one of the latest model mirrorless or DSLR bodies plus a kit lens. I suppose that if I shot 50 rolls of Kodachrome a year the comparison would be different, but also demonstrate I had more funds available too.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Chester AP

My entire expenditure on photography during the last 5 years has been my AP subscription and some prints and A2 calendars ordered online from the CEWE website. I think I've finally outgrown the 'new toy' phase of the hobby, but understand that for many people that's the most exciting part. However, I always encourage people who frequently feel the need to 'upgrade' because they feed the second hand market which has supplied most of the lenses I own. The same applies to cars, CDs and non-fiction books.

zx9r, Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

That’s all fine and dandy if you don’t take many shots. The last match I covered of my sons football team I shot the equivalent of 33 rolls of 36exp in 1hr 20 min. And this was using single shot not multiple shots. For me digital is the cheapest method.

But my compact camera has at least 2 annual Christmas Day celebrations plus a few birthdays too. So maybe film could be a cheaper option

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

There's no reason that you can't use both. :)

I've got some decent-spec digital kit, and I also have a few 135 film cameras, and a couple of 120 cameras. They all get on very well together - it's one big happy family! ;) :D

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  5. Chester AP

But if you were doing this 20 years ago and using Kodachrome, with each shot cost nearly 30p you would never shoot nearly 1,200 shots. More likely 36 or 72, so the cost comparison isn't that straightforward. However, the ability to shoot without consideration of cost is one of the advantages of digital that I appreciate too. I have been using DSLRs since 2007, and only upgraded once, and am unlikely to return to film unless I win the lottery and can buy a house with room for a permanent darkroom (I once had access to a darkroom for a few years, and enjoyed developing monochrome film and doing prints).

Whenever somebody starts a thread by asking for advice about how to use a digital camera, I usually suggest looking at the manual and taking lots of pictures so that the results can be examined and lessons learned. I would never offer this advice to somebody using a film camera because of the cost - they would have to learn how to use it first, and learn with as few shots as possible because of the cost, which is how I started because one roll of Kodachrome then cost what I earned by assembling transformers for a whole day in my school holidays.

6. pixelpuffin

I can imagine
    I on the other hand have one system…canon
    A box full of canon bodies and a further 2 boxes jam packed with canon glass. Besides the ef-s stuff it’s all interchangeable.
    80% of my bodies share the same batteries. The idea of using film makes no sense to me what so ever. It’s akin to dusting off the old typewriter whilst the pc sits on standby nearby.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

What digital camera kit are you using. P_P?

Inquiring minds wanna know :D

Cheers,

Jack

peterba likes this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good point, Chester, and, in a sense, I was lucky and only purchased two lens (Pentax DA 50-135/2.8 and DA 12-24/4) and three cameras (Canon G2, IST*Ds and K50) "brand new" albeit with
    an employee discount ;)

Cheers,

Jack

9. peterba

But....... you've already got the Rolleiflex, so you don't need to buy anything else (except a film). For occasional use, it can be just a bit of fun. :)

10. pixelpuffin

Maybe one day I’ll run a roll through.

11. peterba

If you do, post the results!

12. pixelpuffin

I ought to find the picture I took for a HND project using that Rollei
    I had Fuji Reala/Superia?? and pushed it 2stops
    It really opened my eyes.

13. peterba

Yes, you should!!

It might also inspire you to use that magnificent Rollei again. :)

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Large format is rather expensive, but if you develop it yourself compares favourably with 120. For example, c£6 for a roll of 120, giving 6 (6x12), 8 (6x9), 12 (6x6) or 16 (6x4.5) images. So let's just say about 60p per shot, plus development. 25 sheets of 4x5 at nearly £50 means a cost per shot of around £2. But it's a *much* bigger bit of film innit. ;)

peterba and Done_rundleCams like this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The way I see it: there's nothing wrong with processing film but you really should do it in the dark and wash your hands carefully afterwords... :p

16. peterba

Which words?

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Ones like " sh*** , was that the developer or fix I've just put the film in ?!" :eek:

18. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Mine was realising the now half empty 1L container said BLIX not Fix, how I managed that I do not know.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The UN weapons inspector? :eek::confused:

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  20. Chester AP

When I was a lad, the only bit of film processing done in the dark was loading the film into the developing tank (and if a changing bag was used, that could be avoided). Thereafter all was done with the lights on.