1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What do you need a light meter for? ;)

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

True for an in-camera meter.

A light meter (stand alone) is a useful thing. Although I bought mine for use with an unmetered camera I do use it for incident light measurements when using a shift lens on a DSLR or when facing into the light when photographing birds.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I found incident light metering was very helpful, before digital came along, where there was high contrast. I still have my L308...

Sekonic L308S light meter DSC-R1 07058.JPG

4. Almach

Almach Member

Flashmeter is very useful in home studio too

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  5. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

I'm back is only 16MP Better off shooting Medium format.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Not really. For all practical purposes six million pixels is just fine for me. I use higher resolution cameras to give me more options if I need to crop.

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

9C388162-DEE2-4817-A3B7-79838D4E3E4C.jpeg DE52580F-B634-4455-87D4-84322B23EF63.jpeg This and my old EOS600 are all that is left of my film days. TBH I don’t miss film at all, such a drag compared to digital.

8. Andrew Flannigan

This is very true. That is a rather 3,5f, by the way.

9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It certainly is - film is a real PITA.

Having said that, film cameras can be so much more aesthetically pleasing (as your pictures demonstrate, rather well :)), and so too, can the results (IMO! ;)). [N.B. these comments are genuinely NOT intended to start another digital vs. film war!]

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The f3.5 planar on Rollies was some times better than the f2.8 version. Which showed the variability of even top quality lenses. However planars on the Hasselblad and Linhoff cameras were always exceptional so I think they must have been individually selected.

11. pixelpuffin

It’s the 2.8F Andrew. I’ve owned it for 25yrs. Paid £100
    Would you believe the service guy I took it to was…..ex-Rollei technician. He was overjoyed. Gave it a full and complete strip down and service. I used the camera for my HND. It’s not been used since 1997!
    The camera came complete with lots of Rollei accessories.

I sold my Leica M6 panda plus 2 Leica lenses. It was either the Rollei or the Leica
    Hated the Leica. It looked beautiful yes, but was a pig to use. I bought it after completing my HND. I’d always promised myself I would buy one. Sold tons of stuff to raise funds. Bought it, took it home, loaded a film and headed out……camera was back in its box along with its lenses the same day. Battery removed and shoved in the safe!
    I kept it until 3yrs ago then finally decided it had to go. There was no memories as I hadn’t used it, unlike the Rollei.

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  12. peterba

Shame on you! ;) :D

Why not run a film or two through it? I'll bet it would be fun. :D

13. Andrew Flannigan

That was astonishingly cheap. My 2.8 was an E2, pretty much the same but without the meter. If I'd wanted a meter, it shared the fitting of my Tele-Rollei. I sold both of them for a substantial profit after several years use, so you should have a nice little earner there, if you decide to let it go.

I just kept the memory of my 2.8...

T-shirt with Rolleiflex GX7 P1140485.jpg

14. pixelpuffin

It would be a very expensive “ fun “ experience that.
    Oh’ lord I’ve forgotten how many pictures 6x6 on 120 gets you.

The camera was a one owner from new.
    I was in the woods setting up a shot with my EOS600. Camera was tripod mounted and I was waiting for the sun to move a fraction further for that dappled light effect. When a dog bounds over knocking tripod over!! I wasn’t pleased!! It’s owner came over and started telling me all about photography….
    Yeah..yeah whatever I thought, totally pi$$ed off. I began packing away when he muttered something about a Rollei…
    My ears pricked, and it turns out he’d bought a Rollei new , it had been unused for at least 15yrs and he ought to sell. I asked what price he wanted to which he replied…I paid a hundred pounds for her, I’ll sell her for what I paid and I’ll throw in the extras!!

I raced home, went straight to the cash point and flew over to the address he’d given me. The accessories were 2 Rolleinar close up lenses #1,#3 in their leather case, panarama kit, pistol grip, plate holder and a few other Rollei bits!!

I reckon it was worth a punt!

15. peterba

You get 12 frames. I priced film + developing (on 6x6 120) at about £1.00 per frame, a couple of years ago. Scanning is (almost) free.

It sounds really expensive compared to digital, and of course, it is....... until you start to calculate how much you've spent on upgrading digital cameras, over a period of years. :eek: :eek: :eek:

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  16. pixelpuffin

That is so true mate, so true

17. peterba

Yep - I've spent a quite stupid amount of money over the past fifteen years, on digital. I use digital, mostly - probably 80%-90% of my output - you simply can't beat it for convenience.

However, I still use film cameras....... and I prefer both the cameras, and the output. :)

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  18. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

This must depend on how often you 'upgrade', or if you have abandoned that and are content with what you already have.

19. peterba

That's very true, Chester. However, for me, the calculation is not pleasing! :D

20. pixelpuffin

Well that makes two of us then! ;)
    My worry is, if anything should happen to me, she’ll sell them for what I said I paid for them!! EEK!!:eek: